Heading South!

paxfish

The stars seem to be aligning.  We are sailing Terrapin 80 kilometers home tomorrow.   Forecast is 15 to 20 knots on our stbd quarter.  Wish us luck!

I'll post a full report next week.

Mg3diAs.jpg

We had good success.   A new top speed, some broken components, but in general, we were delighted with the boat.   It never hinted at dipping the leeward bow in big puffs or on the back of a (modest) wave.

15 - 20 knot winds most of the trip, got hammered 20 - 29 knots for the last 1.5 hours as we beat up the river to home.  The boat shook it off fine with two reefs, but tough to point real high.

I will say the boat beat me up pretty good.  The tramps are a serious core/yoga workout!

Issues:

-Broke the solar panel when main blocks were thrashing about trying to put in second reef.

-Starboard tack - significant weather helm.  Port tack mostly balanced.   Not sure what is going on there.  We tried changing up daggerboard configs and a couple of other things.   Very strange.

-Some water ingress at #3 cross member - gotta figure that out.

-Sails - Look at the vid - tough to trim.  Hard to get a good upwind shape also.upwind speeds seemed to run about 9knots, but VMG was not so great with a mediocre tacking angle.   Hard to tell with 2 reef and gust to 29 though.

- Gooseneck/most rotation had some binding - not sure what's going on there either.   

5 minute vid - scroll through as you like, and frank comments for improvements are solicited:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZC11wPmwtaI&feature=youtu.be

-

Rig tension and mast rotation will make a difference to feel and balance.

Yeah, when you haven't sailed for a while, the tramps sure do give your legs/core a work out.

As a comparison, our max upwind speeds (modified GBE) are 11-12, but some nice flat sails help that. Probably at about 45-50 TWA.

we should put a few pics together for ya on sheet set up as well.  We lead out job sheets to the windward winch but there's lots of different ways that has been done on boats.  Also the leading the main sheet directly off the traveller makes it difficult to send the traveller down. Most of the boats here lead the main sheet back along the boom and down to the foot of the mast before leading back to cockpit.

Thanks for the comments all !    I have a laundry list of things to fix, some of which will require your wise counsel over the next few months.  Funds are tighter this year as the wife demands a new kitchen install, but I'll keep nibbling away at the boat!

But I'm happy bear the 8.5 Meter Open standard up here in Annapolis/Chesapeake Bay!

-paxfish

Archived