Terrapin Mainsheet and Traveler

Gents,  

After several sails now, I've come to agree with the down under consensus that my mainsheet configuration needs to updated from the way Tennant designed it.  In fact, in a blow it is very difficult to dump some main in a hurry.  Dumping traveler is no picnic either. 

I like the 2:1 mainsheet routed to the boom that many of you have configured.  

• I presume it is somewhat safer?    
  • Easy to dump it?  
  • Do you run the sheet back to a self tailing winch where the helmsman can attend to it?  
  • On a regular tack, you just leave it set on both sides?

If anyone has a link to a diagram of the configuration, I would appreciate it.

Martin - I see your description on your web page,  can you post a couple of larger pics?   I can't quite make out which blocks are used under boom for example.  Also - what size line are you using?   http://hem.bredband.net/b262106/Boat/controls.html

Thanks,

6sG3sKa.jpg

Line between aft beam and boom: 5 mm Dyneema.

The other line is 10 mm polyester double braid. Smaller diameter would also work with gloves.

The blocks for the Dyneema line are Harken wire blocks.

The blocks under the boom are home made. Here is the moving one:

Trippelblock.jpg

Trippelblock_delar.jpg

Much lighter than anything I could buy at the time since I engineered it for a relatively low load for 60 mm sheaves.

The block attached forward under the boom is somewhat different and based on sheaves from Fredricksen. I don't remember diameter but most likely 60 mm.

More photos:

p9260007.jpg

p9260002.jpg

/Martin

Your main sheet has a very similar block set up at the back of the boom than ours but ours then goes back to blocks on the boom close to the mast, down to blocks on the side of the anchor well and then up to small winches  in the cockpit. We crank it on quite hard to fly a hull.

freedom 2 696x462

In this photo you can  just see the sheets set up if you zoom in.

Thanks Guys! 

Martin - I have high respect for self-reliance.  I have never seen someone build their own blocks though!   Thanks for the Input.

Freedom - Two questions - I presume you are running a smaller diameter line so that it runs through all those blocks well.  What size mainsheet?

Also - When driving hard like that, you have the tiller in one hand and either the mainsheet or the traveler line in the other.  Which one?

I grew up on dinghies, Hobies etc, and have the bad habit of easing the main rather than the traveler.   I know, that tends to power up the main by allowing more curve in the sail.   I gotta break that habit.   But my current traveler arrangement does not allow for quick easing.

Hi, Adrian here, the other 1/2 owner of Freedom.

We don't have any fancy sheet for the main, just a 10mm polyester line (might be dynema). As it comes to both cockpits, the sheet often gets a bit lop-sided, with more in one cockpit than the other. This would make it hard to do a splice into a low friction rope for the bit that stays in the blocks.

Generally we always release the traveler before the mainsheet. On the wind, the helmsman holds the tail of the jibsheet (not cleated), with the crew working the traveler and the mainsheet sitting in one of their laps (but cleated in a clam cleat). Same arrangement when reaching with the jib. Once we get the screecher or kite on, then the helm is holding the traveler (mainsheet on their lap ready to blow) and the crew is working the kite sheet.

It's worked for us so far (touch wood - which there is plenty on on Freedom)!

A couple more pics that might help.

Freedom 2.jpg

freedom 2013-07-13 10.40.36.jpg

My setup on Euphoria is very similar to Feedom except that its 8:1 also where it looks like there's is 6:1.  The traveller block is a double fiddle while the aft boom block is a a double block with a block beneath at 90deg (not sure what you call this). Then I just have a double block as the next setup forward.  At the mast end of the boom there are two singles, mast base are two standing foot blocks spring mounted on a saddle bolt and finally cheek blocks at aft of the nacelle.  Sheet end lead back to a pair of crappy plastic winches which are really only there as "ratchet blocks" - stole this unashamedly from Voom - not sure what Ken has now. I have a pair of jammers as well after the winch. Pics attached which probably make the above explanation worthless! (the 'middle' double on the boom is too far forward - forgot to lash it back to the clew track! Oh and new bowman in training - clearly happy at the opportunity!).  10mm yacht braid which I'm going to replace with 8mm something else one day.  I made the sheet so f**kling long so that the boom will go out to the opposite cockpit when the traveller is on centre - you wanna see that puppy when she's wet!   I've always preferred the cascading system that Martin has on his boat - just been a little worried about lack of travel if you don't get the traveller down - but then mine is really set up for cruising.  I've always cruised with my main and traveller sheets over my knee above about 10kts.

Paxfish - I think if you re-reeve your main you might improve things a little.  From the centre sheeve of the triple, try leading both ends up to the front of the aft double on the boom first.  Might reduce the twist a lot in that block - she won't last long loaded out like that if that's max in.  Also - having your jammer set the way it is means that the sheet trajectory is such that you probably have real trouble 'uncleating' from the cockpit when she's under a lot of load - a bit scary.  I'd rotate the jammer base up as high as you can (looks like its adjustable) so that you at least have a chance to uncleat it in a hurry.  Alternatively in the interim - remove the jammer and mount one in each cockpit - eventually you will end up with a double tail main anyway.  Means you'll have to have someone bring the sheet across under load.  Recent images of the G4 illustrate why its just as important to ease the main!

euphoria main.jpg

One hand on the tiller,  the traveller in the other. The head sail sheet on one knee, main sheet on the other knee.

On Saturday by myself just past the Tiri Channel in a sudden shifty gust, I let go of traveller and tiller, unlcleat both main and head sail at once and ran to the mast and dropped the head sail.

No steerage, need to let go of main and head sail at the same time so that the boat doesn't round up or go down the mine.

I made a couple of minor changes over the weekend - I split the traveler line so that it is not continuous - Much easier to control and dump it if necessary.

We had a brief sail yesterday and the boat performed well.   Upwind angles are not that great yet.  I have to wait a year for new sails, so I'll keep fiddling with the old ones while I perfect the tramps and get the mechanics of everything working smoothly.   I'm feeling a lot more confident that the base structure of the boat is worthy of a sail investment.  Since we only intend to race once or twice a year, and then lots of daysailing/overnighters, I'm thinking about getting one of the newer dacron blends rather than a laminate sail.

Has anybody here tried sails made from the spectra/dacron blends like Hydranet?

Here's a quick vid from yesterday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvzNGyrrRl0