How many want to run away to sea?

I'm just curious here. How many of our crew ogres think that a period of long distance cruising lies somewhere in their future?

Soon , very soon, or someday? Just up to the islands or far, far away? For a few years or forever? or till the money runs out?

Current boat or something else?

Yes one day, before the kids go to high school so in the next 5-6 years. Will start with a season in the islands and with plans to come back. Then take it as it comes. Will buy a 32-40ft offshore capable yacht and start working towards it in the next few years. 

Well.. IMO I could never afford it, and would never be really ready.

So we just went anyway! We sold a car and "ate" that on the first trip with the family around the pacific for a season. Kids were 11 and 13 at that time. They still talk about it as the best time ever. It was absolutely worth it, even though it caused my business quite a few issues at the time... The kids, if anything, matured more and saw more of the world in that year than any other in their lives. Fitting back in to school was no issue.

So then home for 7 years, got a bit more $$, and went again - this time sans kids.. Used up all the $$$, now back here trying to gather some more. 2 Years and counting this time..

I think it is a disease that some catch and cannot help themselves!! :razz:

Yer its in Oracles future some time aswell....just got a RNI and RNZ  to get out of the way first..(once i finish building this house as well)

infact my little brother is leading the way .. has spent the last 7 years working towards it. left for tonga last week and is half way there now.

remember he used to own race GBE akarana express, that weighed about 900kg, well now he owns a tayana 55 that weighs 30000kg.

sold the house and cars and is doing it..!!

• Upvote 1

Oracle, that is the commitment most normal people need to go.

Only the wealthy can do it as a "holiday".

For the rest of us, it takes sacrifice and determination to go, and often all the $$ you can put together.

What is that old saying - of every 100 that talk about it, 10% buy a boat, and only 10% of that 10% will actually leave. As a percentage of the population, those who do go are pretty rare!

Would love to cruise up to Islands in the old tub but I dont think its going to happen Although my son was all charged up the other day ,  Dad,  lets put it in the water and sail to the Whitsundays (he has a mate working there)  If only it was that easy, So who knows>  

An annual winter cruise of the Islands is in the plan in 2 to 4 years time, need to finish work first,seems my current boat has just sold but I have my eye on something more suitable and will go see it next month, if it works out I would bring it back to NZ and spend 2 or so years with it in Akl before a trip north.  I would like to think we could cruise mainly Fiji as well as the area of Tahiti to PNG and Australia, possibly even north to Hawai and back again via US ,Mexico, Marquesas one year.  I think if we wanted to cruise Europe I would consider buying a good value boat up there and then either bring it back or if it was just a cheapie maybe resell it there when done.   The risk is if you leave it too late in life you can get to a point where it is tempting to stay on the couch and just watch the travel channel instead of getting out there and doing it.

• Upvote 1

XTL that is a long distance for a year!

(without any research!) I think it would be very difficult to match that voyage with the correct seasons for the best sailing. I'm not saying you are planning too much, as some people like that.

In my experience many beginning offshore cruisers plan way too much to really see the places they visit!

Most slow down after 6 months or a year - it is supposed to be cruising, after all  :thumbup:

Yep, I was hoping 2016 but work has become busy. Maybe 17 for us , we have the boat for it. I don't want to go away for years ,just start with a couple of there and backs in winter and take it from there.

Sure, IT at first it would be Fiji for the winter and that maybe all we ever need to do. And when I say maybe the Pacific circuit one year I don,t mean in one year necessarily.  But I did read an acc of a Family that sailed a Wharram cat back to Canada from Fiji and they said it wasn,t that bad, and when you look at the distances NZ to Fiji is around a 1/3 of the distance to Hawaii, but sure it would be a lot easier to just go there on a 2 week package holiday and relax.   And it could be easier to pick up a boat in the US and come home from there rather that sail up there from NZ.  First I have to find a boat that I will keep for a few years though.

Planning on the next two years. When I saw a Prout 33 come into Marsden cove and the skipper of the boat I was on commented that that boat sailed from Denmark, it kind of sealed that I could go too in my cat. Like many others, financing it is the major hurdle, but working on that...

Hell Tim, when you get out there and see the P.O.S boats some do it in, you will think your boat is huge and a palace!! Of course you can go in your boat - it's cool and you'll have a great time!! Have to find a friendly Cat 1 inspector though  ;-)

One day.  Definately.  

We had started out with the idea of doing so many years ago when the kids were little, however I was sidetracked by taking my studies and career seriously - pity it doesn't pay well.

The temptation to buy some old Warram and just bugger in the direction of off does sound appealing - I could indulge my inner hippy :-)  (but I'll have to learn how to fish first)

Dambo, I've been out and back a bit and I STILL can't fish!!!

Also, fish stocks are way worse than many realise, and, in the vast majority of cruising boats fish cannot be relied on for food in most locations now.  :cry: