VHF frequency changes

Anyone got any details about the VHF radio frequency changes we're about to be hit with?

Channels 80 etc due to become 60s,which is not a problem for our radios, but nowcasting channels to be 2020 etc.

I have a horrible feeling that the radio manufacturers are going to have a field day.

http://coastguardsouthernregion.wikispaces.com/file/view/Information+Paper+0115+RSM+Frequency+Changes.pdf

http://www.offshoreblue.com/communications/new-vhf-frequencies.php

http://www.gmdss.com.au/new%20vhf%20channels.html

Have a look at the above links. I think it is to bring us in line with international frequencies. It's going to cost Coastguard and Maritime NZ about a million bucks in total.

vhf.jpgHmmm I see, the reason for the concern. Lets hope our expensive radios will still work as it is a bit unclear, at least to me.

Cant say I have ever seen a vhf with these channels.

this ozzie site seems to explain those high vhf channel #'s a little better

Using 78 as an example - it has 2 frequencies: 156.925 MHz (ship transmit) and 161.525 MHz (Coast Station transmit). 

The ship transmit frequency becomes new channel 1078 (156.925 MHz), and the Coast transmit frequency (161.525 MHz) becomes new channel 2078.

http://www.gmdss.com.au/new%20vhf%20channels.html

so yes, at first blush it seems all current nz marine vhf radios will become somewhat crippled in certain areas around nz when the new system comes in as they won't be able to correctly establish the split frequencies 

the new radios that can, probably haven't even been made yet.....

guess they are depending on cruisers transiting those areas using mobile phones for distress calls while commercial operators will be expected to get new radios? 

probably going to be a flood of high quality icom type vhf on trademe soon

coming after the failed push for DSC radios, where nz coastguard never held up their side of the bargain, there will be HUGE amounts of legacy radios clogging the network for the rest of my lifetime...

Spoke to Standard Horizon today. Firstly they seemed relatively unaware of the changes "I had heard something" and could offer no info other than that their radios are fully reprogrammable but require to be sent back to HQ to do so.

Second guessing all this, I can only assume that either they are not wanting their customers to know that radios bought over the next year or so will have to go back for reprogramming - at a cost or more likely they are hoping that OFCOM will restrict the impact of any changes to the UK market - that doesn't tell us anything about how it might impact users who travel outside the UK - anyone heard anything from any of the other radio suppliers - Icom, Raymarine etc?

Read more at

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?336349-Marine-Radio-Frequencies-will-change-Jan-2017/page2#7Fia1oLvgOoWrkZu.99

How sensible to create 8 useable channels out of these 4 duplex channels intended for téléphone patching which no-one uses these days. 

And what an utterly daft numbering system to come up with for the result! I'd love to hear the civil servant who dreamt that up explain why four-digit codes for so few channels were a smart idea.

Quite agree. Think of all the radios with two 7-seg displays for the channel number.
Read more at

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?336349-Marine-Radio-Frequencies-will-change-Jan-2017/page3#bkOfmVel412wbAyT.99

so basically as just an ak sailor i'll start using;

chan 64 instead of 80   for waitemata coastguard, can easily reprogram the name on vhf

chan 18 instead of 81   for manukau         "

chan 65 instead of 82   for hauraki            "

​and if i ever happen to be transiting past kaikoura i'll reach for the cell and call *500

(assuming that's the number down there)

instead of diving for a list that would tell me that the old chan of 22 has become 2079 

Wonder if there was any lobbying from VHF manufacturers. Can't help but wonder why they didn't use some of the less utilised channels.

Might not be a good time to buy an AIS unit either perhaps.

These changes, directed by the IMO, will provide more radio spectrum for automatic identification system (AIS) signals

As a consequence of the changes the following maritime channels are no longer available for maritime repeater use:

MM78 MM19 MM79 MM20 MM80 MM81 MM82 MM83 MM84 MM85 MM86 MM21 MM22 MM23 MM24 MM25 MM26  

I asked Navico about their units;

Units will be upgrade-able via firmware where needed.  Older units possibly not, but we have a project to become compatible and more info will be released closer to the time.  Potentially even older units may be upgrade-able.

So that is good news. Navico firmware is (usually) free. I hope the other manufacturers will be similar, but if purchasing something in the near future, sure should ask how it will cope!

Have posed the question to a seller off vhfs on trade me, whom is in trade. "are these machines set up for the channel changers that come into force Oct next year".

The guy got back to me and said that he had been in touch with the distributor and he know nothing about it. I posted this link to him http://www.rsm.govt.nz/projects-auctions/current-projects/changes-to-the-maritime-mobile-repeater-allocations He then got back to me with the following.

Cheers. I have been in contact with the distributor and they are blarzey about it. Not.concerned at all. Cheers 8:18 pm, Mon 22 Jun     

I am really pissed about this as I purchased a new vhf a couple off months ago.           

AIS is NOT affected by his change! I have this from Jeff Robbins at Vesper Marine (Jeff designs and makes what is, IMO the best AIS units currently available);

AIS isn't moving. In fact, the idea is to preserve and protect the AIS frequencies from overcrowding by new applications. As a result, some of the existing marine (VHF) channels are being reallocated to accommodate additional digital applications.

FYI: Most people don't know this but AIS units have frequency agility built into them. They can be remotely controlled by regional authorities to shift frequencies now.

So, if you want a new Radio, it is important to check that it can cope with the changes. If you have one, check with the manufacturer. If you have an AIS it will be fine, if you want one, send me a PM!! :-) 

Actually HT that is not correct. To have access to all local (NZ coastal) channels, after this change you will need to have your radio firmware updated, or to replace the radio. It is AIS that is unaffected.

Ok IT,where do we get the correct information from?have asked a couple suppliers and they are in the dark but general consenses is are current vhf will work on the available channels we are currently using.My set needs updating but if I need to change who has the new sets?If i do buy a new set will mean another new set in 2016/2017?

HT, many of the NZ agents/importers are still as yet unaware of this frequency change.

This thread has good links at the beginning, see the chart Willow posted. For example, channels 20-23 will be "moving".

And Tims link to RFNZ who control our spectrum. http://www.rsm.govt.nz/projects-auctions/current-projects/changes-to-the-maritime-mobile-repeater-allocations. That is the official NZ govt position.

This is an international change, including, but not restricted to NZ. If your local supplier does not know about it yet, they are out of date. Just as well you have Crew.org to inform you!!

If you are looking to buy a new radio, and the supplier says this is not going to effect you, I'd get that in writing, or find another supplier. Alternatively, perhaps you could print out that link above and give it to them?

Navico NZ had to ask their radio production guys (not in NZ) to get an answer, the local ones were not aware of this change until I asked them how they would handle it! 

There ARE radio's out there that will no longer be useful on those channels that are moving, and cannot be updated, so be careful.

Sorry HT I did not answer the 2nd bit. The only brands I currently know for sure can (or will be able to be) be upgraded ( because I have this in writing from Navico) are Lowrance, Simrad, and B&G. ALL their current models can have a firmware upgrade to meet the new standards. This will have to be done at change over time, and the new firmware is not yet available. Neither is the exact method of upgrade yet confirmed, whether it will be user upgrade-able, or require a return to dealer. I'll let you all know when that is confirmed to me.

I would think other brands are similar, but I don't know.

on a side note.Who knew you have to register to buy antifoul paint,just did it at burrnsco?

???

unless this is very very new

maybe you registered to become a burnsco member so you could buy it at a special price?