Maybe I want a Catamaran, what do you guys think?

One final question before I start to look at boats, can you fit a tiller pilot to a cat (I'm thinking for short handed passges mostly under engine power?

And if I bought something like "this way up" and wanted to cruise the hauraki gulf or Bay of islands, is the coastal passage parts pretty easy to manage shorthanded (or single handed).

Racing, I'd get a crew together no worries.

Sorry for all the questions, just have no idea how a Cat bigger than a hobie works and I can't get a ride on one or look around one up here!

I have a tiller pilot. It's awesome.

Have done singlehanded sails to kawau a few times, but not sure id be keen to go too much further. If there is wind, you have a bit on, and in no wind I get bored....

The old owner of twu singlehanded her to the barrier for a Xmas cruise.

Ken - which model did you go for?

i now have an ST2000. Raymarine.  trialed an old ST1000  for a while, it was fine for motoring and holding a course in the super light. the 2000 has faster speed, but not a big deal, as not really sailing hard with an autopilot.  

Interesting - I got given an old hardly used ST4000 a few years ago. Was going to fit it to Euphoria this winter just to hold course but now I think it'll go good on the new boat. Full up with a cold at the moment so might bench test it tonight rather than go down to the boat.