Just how fast are they?

As boats keep getting bigger and faster, how much of it really is massive design improvement, and how much is just through pushing harder?

Take for instance the mighty Sundreamer, holder at different times of various records, including the A2T, which I believe still stands.

And Vodafone, gradually trying to take those records. Same size boat, twice the rig!

If the conditions were right, and the guys just didn't back off, how far from taking the Coastal record could Sundreamer be? I'm guessing not far, if at all.

Or perhaps they could push the Tauranga record just a little further?

Surely there's only so fast you can push a sixty foot ski through the water, so what makes one 60 so much faster than another? As far as I'm aware, TVS isn't on foils yet, although she's probably vented.

Or is it more a case of the older materials not being up to the loads?

I'd ask the same question of the 8.5 class, but first I'm gonna see how far behind we are.

I think length = size is a mistake.

Sundreamer was, if memroy serves, designed as a very long fortyfooter: Width and sailplan as if she was 12 m long but with 18 m long hulls.

ORMA 60s were designed to a rule which limited length, width and rig height but not much else. They were designed for pro sailors and money was not an issue until it became such a big issue it killed the class. Designing them became a desperate pursuit of longitudinal stability, according to Nigel Irens.

All information I have indicate the MOD 70 trimarans are much better boats and in most cases actually faster despite being less extreeme.

So why are ORMA 60s faster than Sundreamer? Simply much more horsepower -- the wide stance makes it possible to carry a lot of sail. But they need pro sailors to reach their potential.

Look at these photos from 1992: http://hem.bredband.net/nschoon/galleries/Plymouth-92/index.html

I was out sailing with Richard and Liliand Woods and some friends on their Sagitta. Wind was 10--11 knots and very steady. The ORMA 60s were averaging 20 knots on a course that was almost close hauled! Arthaud, Poupon, Peyron, Bourgnon...

For the 8.5 class I think the horse power thing is boxed in so I would look at the latest in hull lines since length and weight are dictated. My ISAF insider tells me old Tornado aces claim the Nacra 17 is quicker than a Tornado... I am intreagued by the shape of AC45s, GC 32s and their ilk -- based on the lates in beach cat design I understand.

Foiling may be banned (I haven't looked) but if you are allowed to add some vertical controll a smother ride may be had and that means sails have better working conditions and will be more efficient.

Work with the areodynamics -- both drag and and lift.

In your own back yard: http://www.hpyd.org.nz/

/Martin

PS Point-to-point record runs are a bit special as they depend so much on the weather factor and simply having a bit of luck with that.