Buying overseas

Hi guys,

Just a quick message to ask you about something I have no idea about and struggling to find an official answer:

I'm planning on buying a second hand yacht in OZ and bringing her to NZ.

But in terms of paper work and taxes, what will be required?

As far as I know, GST is for brand new goods...but I may be wrong.

So, if some of you guys have experiences with this it would be great!

Cheers.

If the yacht was built in Australia I do not believe duty is applicable (CER agreement).

You will not get an Australian GST refund exporting a used ítem, be it car, motorbike boat etc, from the ATO. They have no interest in taxes you might have to pay elsewhere

Are you being charged GST in Australia on the purchase?

If so I think you might be able to claim it back when the boat is exported. I know this is possible for new items, not so sure for second hand items.

sorry to be the downer, but the ATO have SD's scheme covered, with very prescriptive regulations - GST refund is for "new" boats only - no more than 12 mths old and rules about usage, mods, on-selling etc.

One other "surprise", a friend recently bought a power cat in QLD to be delivered to NZ, and he could not find a surveyor there. Apparently they do not want to know pleasure boats because there is no money in them but large potential liabilities.

Cabrinha - are you sure you cannot find want you want in NZ? Australian market is way overpriced and you would take both the FOREX & GST hit. Those costs could go a long way towards refitting a local yacht.

Marinhero is correct no duty from Australia. We had to pay GST within a week (in Nelson), although that seems to vary a bit with who you get at the customs office.

I also agree with the surveyor in Queensland comment, we did get one but he was useless. The boat was fine but I could have checked it better myself.

Thanks for all your replies guys, it helps to understand the rules!!

So in fact, buying a second hand yacht in OZ needs to add the NZ GST to it, even if the yacht is not brand new...

I'm after a second hand cruiser/racer near 50ft. For the moment I focused on First 47.7 and in NZ they are none for sale (one from 36 degrees brokers but sold and was at 300k), while in OZ they are more and "cheaper".
But of course, after adding the NZ GST, it's the same price...but at least there are options

Nope, sometimes you get a week, sometimes it's on demand when clearing into the country is my understanding. I know of a boat recently in Nelson who got a week, and another in Opua who had to pay immediately...

I fail to see why you would be allowed a year or two.

Because some people are in the country only few months.

For example, someone who sailed to NZ and is in the country for a while, working before going again.

I know that in this case, customs make you sign a paper where you agreed to pay the GST after a certain amount of time if the vessel is still in the country

If you are a NZ resident or a citizen, and bring a boat you own into NZ you will be required to pay GST and duty (if applicable) upon arrival.

If you are a foreign national, you get a TIE (Temporary import exemption) the time of which is usually 3 months, but can be extended to a year or more if, for example, you are having major work done to the vessel here. After that time, if you wish the vessel to remain here, you have to pay.

Full details of this are available from Customs. It's pretty clear. If you live here, and bring in a boat that is not NZ built, or has not already had the tax paid in NZ, you have to pay on arrival.