What do you want Crew.org.nz to be

Noise! I wish I could find more info on boating.

That's down to perception. One person's noise is another's entertainment. I find small talk interesting but I accept that is a personal taste. The ability to filter while viewing active topics would help here.

I like reading forums about yacht races and they only seem to appear for large races such as CC and simrad and the offshore stuff such as Fiji. I do not know why people don't post about, for example, their wednesday night races as an example more frequently. Perhaps people think that it too egotistical I am not sure or conversely too open for criticism??

Lots of Post hijacking. I have been guilty of this as well. A gentle drift off topic once and a while is quite entertaining but some of this is downright blatant. This could be solved by more intense moderating i.e. enforcement of new topics when this happens. The other option could be to let the original author moderate their topic to a degree.

Good idea Farrari - I reckon the thread-starter should be able to moderate. Not sure it should be enforced in all cases by an 'independent' moderator - the thread drift is pretty entertaining in most cases! But it would be fair if someone really wanted a serious answer, without all the peripheral crap, for them to be able to moderate their own thread.

Re the homepage - not sure about everyone else but I rarely read the whole of each story - it's the way they're formatted - too much long, unbroken text! I'd prefer to see something more like the news sites (e.g. BBC, NZHerald) with brief synopses that you can click to get the full story. And more subheads please.

Also, is this a site about sailing, or a site about racing? My perception is that it's very much race-centric. And pretty Auckland-centric too.

BB that is more historical accident. I welcome anything to do with sailing. I would love to see more cruising/dinghy sailing/ hell, dinghy cruising on here. And thanks for some of the suggestions guys.

Actually as I get older I am less and less interested in racing, but accept that others are. All those Med Cup reports I just cut and paste, can't be bothered reading them.

I don't think thread hijacking is actually as bad as some think. Two things occur first for threads to side track. The topic got answered, or no one knows the answer. Then the thread goes off sideways. It's just a finish of conversation.

When I was Admin for CF, we jumped really fast and hard on thread drifts and off topics and a dozen other scenarios and the number of complaints were huge and continuos and we got called Nazis and so on. So it really didn't matter what way you go, some one will agree and someone will complain. And Squid, that is the one thing that you have to come to grips with as the board grows. There will always be varying opinions. My view is, you have done a damn fine job so far, so why change what you are doing. Apart from fine tuning. And I think one of the big pluses is that Squid is a Sailor too. Not too many sites are owned and run by a sailor.

Thread drift is fine, conversation in real life tends to wander around a bit too.

I like the fact i can ask a question about boating issues etc and get a number of replies, sift thru these and get a better idea of possible solutions or just more info.

Sailing talk is slow now but its winter, it will pick up in summer.

What i dont like is too many posts (in particular in General) that then take you to sites elsewhere such as You tube etc etc. I know wheels says this keeps site active but really there's just too much of that. For my money keep it to one or two new topics a day

Enjoy the site but to be honest, do spend much more time on sailing anarchy, comes down to more content there I guess.

The Youtube ones I don't go to much myself. Man you can chew up data fast with those clips. The reason why at least I link often, is due to copywrite. You can't always just copy and paste. I had a really interesting thing I was going to post a couple of nioghts ago, but when I scrolled down, it said that no one could copy it, change it, use it or blow your nose with it it anyway. But ruff seeing as the very first comment it had i knew had come from somewhere else. But anyway, i thought I had better not risk it. So sometimes it is best to just place a link. Then just as with Youtube, the reader can make this own decision if they want to go to it or not.

A virtual yacht club bar - Close as to that now with the good bad and occasional ugly.

A 'what did/would you do?' help wise info centre - growing nicely and the inflow of info is often quick and quite astounding in it's details/options.

More race news from the people out doing it - Some us us try but it would be good to have more doing it. The races I never knew existed I found about here and have jumped into have been magnificent over the last year or 2 and most were from some post race comments. All the post race reports on this years Simrad R1 were great reading.

Less of DR quoting entire huge things all the time

More Wolfisms would be good, they are often frecking hilarious and out of left field.

More of 'AC Does India'. Still waiting for V4 by the way.

More BBW's and Dibley's. Always a good read and educational.

More watching of AA's bow and less of Bump n Grinds transom. Opps... hang on, that's a off forum thing ;)

Certainly more of BB's avatar :thumbup:

I like the idea of being able to go back later and change posts. I, like most, have posted sometimes in the heat of the moment and like a few do struggle to word things quite right especially if a tad fired up, so it comes out basically bad or pisses someone off when that wasn't the intent. That has sometimes snowballed and it's all gone very sour. It would be nice to be able to go back and put a big 'Sorry I fucked up and was being a dick, my bad' or something.

I think the recent grumpy tone in areas is just a winter thing. Shite boating weather and that weather does get to everyone after a while. Like a few have mentioned once things start happening again that'll fade away and we'll be back to post-race bitching. Also society in general is under a bit of pressure at the moment on many fronts, that doesn't always make everyone a bundle of fluffies.

Moving on from the virtual bar angle, how about an area of the site that GPS tracks can be uploaded and replayed, overlaid over a chart.

It would provide a source of discussion as the pro's/con's of various tactics were observed. The ability to pick the race/division uploaded against would allow each divisions race to be replayed separately whilst people discuss the war stories of what went on.

I shall admit that I am definitely guilty of starting threads on small talk which have nothing to do with yachting, and sometimes nothing to do with boats or even water.

I always post this in small-talk.

One reason I do this is because I recognise that there are many people on this site who have talent that goes far beyond sailing - yes I know it's sometimes hard to believe that there are things other than sailing - and interesting discussion on topics outside sailing makes for a better understanding of who we all are, our personalties, and builds our value as a community. There is a lot we can learn from each other. In life, our friends are not just our friends because they sail. If this were the case we wouldn't need the foe button.

At the moment I am far from the sea and sailing, but I view my interaction on this site, and reading other peoples posts, opinion, and experience as a vital link back to NZ, and importantly back to yachting people. I sail vicariously at the moment.

I'm sure I've posted stuff that some people find boring, irrelevant or make me look like a complete dick, But I'd also like to believe that sometimes I do post interesting content or comment.

I feel that the last thing we want to do is frighten off potential members and forum contributors (and advertisers) by appearing aggressively single minded and unwelcoming wrt general conversation.

I'd love to see more content from designers and builders, etc as mentioned earlier in this thread, although this requires these folk to have time to spare to contribute. Also on things like tactics, rules etc, useful info for planning cruises, and trips, sail trim, and things rum can be used for.

Tech talk is awesome, and a big ups to the people who have made it possible.

Perhaps a repository (or index of where to find these) of down-loadable resources, files etc. on interesting or helpful topics. Not just a place to dump pictures of bikini-clad babes on AC's boat (although I'm sure none of us would complain) but also articles, and that rum and banana cake, or was it a banana rum cake?

I agree with most of KM's suggestions- damn it - all of KM's suggestions! Esp about the edit function.

Can we make crew.org the central stop in NZ (and beyond) for all anyone ever wanted to know about sailing, sailors and their quirks?

For my part, I think there is a bit of talking-around the subject going on here with phrases like "noise" and "thread drift". Recently it has seemed like Homer Simpson Radio - "all hollering, all the time". If the site is a virtual yacht club bar, it is that unfortunate element that is always wanting a punch-up with whoever happens to be in range.

A lot of people seem quite happy in their responses so I am conscious that I am in the minority but lately, I can't say it is the kind of place I could be proud to be associated with.

It wouldn't work to ban deliberately-provocative posts since they are often part of the fun and I note a few in this thread.

I did see Brucey's most recent post in the thread about the actors growing up and, for the first time, agreed with a number of his points re quality over quantity and perhaps limiting the number of posts per day.

It is actually a bit disillusioning to click on Active Topics and find that the same person has tagged six to eight of them. As others have said, I would be as guilty as anyone else and will be voluntarily putting a bit more thought into whether I really have something valuable to add.

Archived