from http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index. ... 529&st=325

"There has been some interest received lately in regards to a design for the NZ 8.5 rule, and while I usually prefer not to design to rules, the 8.5 rule is a simple one, plus it limits rig size to where design and crew skills are more important than just brute power.

The F-82 is already a good performer under the 8.5 rule, even though smaller and with a roomy cruising style cabin, so I have taken a little time to explore using the F-82 as the basis for a more race orientated F-85SR. This will have longer hulls and a taller rig to fit the rule, and an optional cut down cabin, so it will be significantly faster again.

The F-85SR will use an extended F-22 rudder, and will also have the F-32SR curved lifting foils as an option.

http://www.f-boat.co...ans/F-32SR.html

Cabin can be the standard F-82 cruising cabin, or a cut down lower profile racing cabin. Float rudders will be optional, and float sterns are squared off to allow this, but I think float rudder are more complicated for only limited benefits, while all round performance may suffer.

The main advantage of the F-85SR will be the greatly increased performance over the F-82, plus it would still retain genuine trailerabilty (in minutes, not hours) and a roomy cabin, so it can still be used as a great cruiser. It will be a tough boat, everything will work as it should, all of which will contribute to an excellent resale value once its racing days are over, plus it would be much easier to sell than a pure racer with no room.

Basic dimensions are

L.O.A. - 8.5m (27' 10")

B.O.A. - 6m (19' 8")

Mast Height - 11.3m (37')

Sail Area (main and jib) - 42sq.m (455sq.ft)

The very detailed F-82 plans would be used as the basis for building, but they will come with the new F-85SR lines, and additional supplementary sheets detailing the various F-85SR changes and new areas. However, being so busy with the production F-22 and some other matters at present, the F-85SR would have to be another weekend job, so I would need at least 6 definite builders before I could justify the effort required. So if definitely interested then let me know.

Ian Farrier

Farrier Marine (NZ) Ltd

Farrier Marine, Inc"

How cool is this!

The only thing cooler would be this with FDs floats, I heard someone bought them to build a new 8.5 Tri?

F85.png

F852.png

I think it's great for the 8.5 class to have designers like Ian producing designs for the rule. It's got to be a good thing

for the class, which I am rather interested in these days...

Designwise, compared to say the Demon tri, it looks to have smaller volume, shorter floats and a smaller higher aspect sail plan - and foils. It will be very

interesting to know how it would perform comparitively as they are quite different concepts. Stuffed if I know what the end result

will be. Be interested in peoples thoughts. If it is a significant boost on performance on "need for speed" (predictwind) then it

should thoeretically be a bit of a rocketship.

Regardless of performance, what the design definitely does uniquely offer, over the current crop of designs IMHO is:

* The ability to fold - to trailer or maybe chuck in a standard marina

* Building instructions for dummies - reputationally his plans are incredibly detailed and you don't need to be a boat builder or have

the assistance of one to build them, which I don't believe is the case for other options out there.

I would be interested to know what peoples thoughts are on comparative performance...

That gives me a boner. I'm scared to go for a sail on a tri cos I think once I got off I'd simply put my boat up for sale! I love seeing Kan't Know blasting round the racecourse and I know they're not seriously trying most of the time!

I think it's great for the 8.5 class to have designers like Ian producing designs for the rule. It's got to be a good thing

for the class, which I am rather interested in these days...

Designwise, compared to say the Demon tri, it looks to have smaller volume, shorter floats and a smaller higher aspect sail plan - and foils. It will be very

interesting to know how it would perform comparitively as they are quite different concepts. Stuffed if I know what the end result

will be. Be interested in peoples thoughts. If it is a significant boost on performance on "need for speed" (predictwind) then it

should thoeretically be a bit of a rocketship.

Regardless of performance, what the design definitely does uniquely offer, over the current crop of designs IMHO is:

* The ability to fold - to trailer or maybe chuck in a standard marina

* Building instructions for dummies - reputationally his plans are incredibly detailed and you don't need to be a boat builder or have

the assistance of one to build them, which I don't believe is the case for other options out there.

I would be interested to know what peoples thoughts are on comparative performance...

If you want to be the fastest 8.5 in NZ at the moment you need to buy Dirty Deeds or a copy of it.

I guess he covers the US and Oz market as well so it is a definite possibility

Don't forget Europe, the F22 seems to have gone down well there. Yeah sorry, should have said can't see 6 people wanting to build the F85 here. Happy to be proven wrong though... The more new multi's the better.

If you want to be the fastest 8.5 in NZ at the moment you need to buy Dirty Deeds or a copy of it.

Yes - I agree from looking at racetrack DD is "the" 8.5 boat right now. However Predictwind wasn't far behind it (again from racetrack) - do you buy the idea that this newer F boat (if built ultra light and sailed well) it might be faster still? Has DD been modified since early 2009 when Predictwind last raced?

I don't know - I'm a programmer not a boat designer and know f-all about multi's - so I'm looking for some more informed opinion here...

Yes - I agree from looking at racetrack DD is "the" 8.5 boat right now. However Predictwind wasn't far behind it (again from racetrack) - do you buy the idea that this newer F boat (if built ultra light and sailed well) it might be faster still? Has DD been modified since early 2009 when Predictwind last raced?

I don't know - I'm a programmer not a boat designer and know f-all about multi's - so I'm looking for some more informed opinion here...

DD has had modifications made to stiffen their rig. I believe these changes have made them faster across the whole breeze range.

Need for Speed is also being sailed by Jon Bilger who is a very good sailor.

I believe his ability probably over states Need for Speeds actual pace to some extent.

Also under the 8.5 rule the 8.2m can be slightly lighter, which in a boat this size could be quite critical.

The new F8.5 has 42 m^2 of sail whereas Deeds, attitude, Lucifer are nearer 50-55 m^2.

All multis are about Power to weight