mummery/hearn millennium 55

this was my last build ALAN did most of the design, I did contruction dwgs, eng dwgs arch, cockpit, belting design sheer cap, which is solid from a die I had made in China

Everything was done in house except rig

Merv Green did the woodwork fitout

I started her in 99,spec for the NA market

She sold into Gold Coast

#Got hammered in a Tasman gale blowing 35 plus for 3 days on nose

At 18500kg at departure that is with her long range fuel tanks of 1500l she is not slow 8000 kg lead in keel scheel type

The second owners report shen was always first into port in the Darwin to Indo rally ahead of the cats which do slow up loaded in cruise trim

I built her in al al, 8mm bottom

I first started building steel Yachts in the 19 seventies then sometime early in the eighty's I went to alloy yachts and started engine rooms with the then fellow worker Tony Hambrook who went on to be managing director of the company I left because there were certainly was not room for two of us and I wanted to try my hand at building with my own company

I built quite a few Mummery yachts I built two of the Cape forties and one spec Marimba the same as Eric wing had but welengthened to the boat out to 34 feet with a sugar scoop and it was in aluminium not in steel I wish I could locate that both because it was a lovely send keelerand I would love to buy it as I no longer have the energy to build

nimbus 11 anchored Thailand.jpg

Caper was moored at Seaview marina and owned by a Wellington family until about 6 years ago. She was used very little and I think health issues eventually forced her sale. An astonishingly nice boat. I believe Caper was still in survey when she was sold.

I spotted her in Fiji last year at Vuda Point marina. Still looking quite magnificent too. 

Caper was moored at Seaview marina and owned by a Wellington family until about 6 years ago. She was used very little and I think health issues eventually forced her sale. An astonishingly nice boat. I believe Caper was still in survey when she was sold.

I spotted her in Fiji last year at Vuda Point marina. Still looking quite magnificent too. 

Nice to know this, thanks, John became a real friend, learned much from this brilliant engineer, he was a founder at Becker Carter Furneaux Hollings

I was never ever a fan of stringers, neither was John . We built the Euro way

caper.jpg

that is me with dark hair and Alan Paulsen one of my great men, the  man missing in Ralph Fergesen  an excellent man too

we never had CAD generated plate developments in those days and more importantly we never had OSH

the pieces of  light strip are to  temporarily space the frames

plating caper.jpg

Not sold.

Not officially anyway, or at least that's my take on it. ;-) (ie - I doubt it'll be relisted)

Sounded like it needed a new donk or at least some work on the current one. 

Seemed like a very good buy on the face of it.

drew something easier, i could take flare out for people without ability to build, not selling, gifting, 13m, very stiff sailing boat, good entry, will not pound as some very expensive French offerings do

8mm plate 6mm deck, very long range tanks

flare.jpg

• Upvote 1