Three Kings 27 Feb - 5 Mar 16

We are firming up plans to ease up the coast from the BOI and maybe to the Three Kings, subject to weather obviously, from 27 Feb to 5 Mar 16. For the adventure and fishing. Any other boat heading that way? Any advice on the Three Kings?

Cheers, Dave

Hi Dave

We spent a night in Cascade Bay on the SW side. It was the best spot in the light easterly swell at the time. There was a dive charter boat there at the same time which had been diving on the Elingamite.

Also spent a couple of nights tucked into the little bay beside the island at the Eastern end of Spirits bay which is a nice spot and we have also been into Parengarenga which is magic and reasonably easy but it needs to be settled and you don't want any easterly swell. There is about 4m over the bar at LW.

We also like Houhora - ask for a mooring or anchor just northeast of the little island  and Rangaunu - anchor just south of the reef by Rangiputa

Nothing major planned, around NZ again would be tempting but probably wont happen as it is a bit of a major.

Also would be keen to go back gunkholing in the Kaipara as it is home waters but that may not happen either.

We will likely be Houhora way in Feb or early March so may run into you.

The entrance to Houhora is easy and deepish, just past the island there is a slightly shallow spot with only about 2.5m at low water but the rest of the channel is deep and well marked. I haven't been in there in a big easterly blow but I think it would be fine. There is diesel and water at the fishermans wharf and a good general store in the same spot. The deep sea fishing club a bit downstream is good and they do meals on some nights I think.

PK, planning being up that way this summer, not sure if we will get to Houhora but have always wanted to, I'll post a pic of the area I'm thinking you taking about, do you pass south of this shoal ?

Is Rangaunu Harbour ? Just to the south, worth a visit ?

image.png

Yes just go where the Sh is.

We draw 2.1m and have never touched.

We have anchored where the 2.1 is north of Tokoroa island - nice spot and other times have called the harbourmaster on the VHF and arranged a mooring. Take a bit of old carpet to wrap around the mooring buoy to protect your topsides when the tide turns - only needed on some of the buoys.

Rangaunu definitely worth a visit also. Good fishing all along the beach between the two harbours.

One trip we went almost all the way to Awanui on a rising tide and back out again before the tide turned but it is quite a long way and could be a bit embarrassing if you got it wrong !