Half Moon Bay

Intending to head to the gulf when the weather improves in a few days and want to pick up another couple up there. Half Moon Bay looks like our best option, I've never been in there so would appreciate some advice please. Is there a public wharf or do we need to go into one of the marinas? Could fuel up at the same time but does fuel dock have pedestrian access? Boat is a Beneteau 40.7, draws 2.4m, are we tide dependent? Is there public car parking available for a few days?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks, Ray.

Hey Ray 

At 2.4m draft suggest not going up the estuary at dead low tide, otherwise you'll be OK.  Don't take the Eastern short cut through Musick Point unless close to high tide. 

There is fuel available on inside Half Moon Bay Marina.  On the left as you go in, next to the sea break.  Don't this there is pedestrian access (I've never tried) but if you motor in there you shouldn't need it.  

There is a public loading wharf on the boat ramp side of BBYC marina.  Don't think it is for long term.  Tie up and load up sort of stuff.  

Plenty of parking, all well marked by the boat ramp too.

Cheers

Ray

As Scott mentioned, there are two entrances to the Tamaki Estuary to get to Half Moon Bay; one via Musick Point and the other via West Tamaki Heads.  The area is well charted but I'd recommend you sticking to one of the two channels for deepest water.  Musick Point has a CD of 1.2m at the lowest point and West Tamaki Heads has a CD of 1.8m so you will need to watch the tides if you draw 2.4m.  Make sure you follow the channel markers as the channel does take a dog leg around a large sandspit that many a boat has parked up on trying to take the direct line of sight route.

There are two marina's (Half Moon Bay and BBYC) with separate entrances; HMB is the first entrance and BBYC is the second.  You will need to follow the estuary down past little Bucklands Beach and past the marina hardstand area.  Both marina's have a jetty with public access although it's not immediately obvious how to access the HMB fuel jetty from the roadside (see below).  The BBYC jetty is theoretically meant to for club members but I don't think short term use will cause any issues.  It also has limited turning space that is compounded if there are already other boats in there using the space.

To use the HMB fuel jetty take the first marina access and take a hard left turn and you will see the jetty.  There is space to tie up if you are not taking on fuel or water a little bit further down if not already occupied.  Public access is via a gate down by Bryant Marine but involves walking through the hardstand area.  Take a left after the gate entrance and follow the pathway to the marina office, turn right and walk in front of the travel lift area pass the little sheds and turn left.  You will see the jetty entrance.  I must admit I haven't been down this jetty for a couple of years but last time I was there it wasn't gated.

To use the BBYC marina take the second entrance and turn hard right.  This jetty is where the ferries tie up on the other side.  There is plenty of water depth in both marinas.

There is a reasonable amount of public parking although it fills up fast this time of year.

Steve

I draw about 2.3 and keep my boat up at panmure,   I can always get into the estuary via the Karaka bay (western side).    I \always seem to have 3.2m under keel this side (stay in the deepest as long as possible on your chartplotter and cut across the shortest rout between the shallows, don't stray out towards browns.

there is a lot of tidal flow.

i'm no pilot

but as vindil only draws 1.3m and has a new and powerful engine

at high tide i'll go through the east passage, if the pine harbor ferries are

follow their dip into the estuary, to avoid the mud-sand bank south of brown's

it's pretty narrow between the red + green channel markers and can get busy with boats so use engine if needed to keep to speed above 4kn with a good eye behind for staying out of the ferries way

your mileage may vary

musik3.jpg

i'm no pilot

but as vindil only draws 1.3m and has a new and powerful engine

at high tide i'll go through the east passage, if the pine harbor ferries are

follow their dip into the estuary, to avoid the mud-sand bank south of brown's

it's pretty narrow between the red + green channel markers and can get busy with boats so use engine if needed to keep to speed above 4kn with a good eye behind for staying out of the ferries way

your mileage may vary

attachicon.gifmusik3.jpg

spring low yesterday and we need a 100mm more to get through,sat bumping away with every bloody boat going past for a 1hr,that was between green/red marker,draft 5ft,worked out well sort of,by the time we got free and on mooring club open.  just checked 3.5 tides normally we are ok on 2.9/3.0m tides,first time i have seen rocks exposed by red marker. musick pt.

I spent some time at HMB last year, both in the water and on the hard. Easily the friendliest, most helpful bunch of marina staff I have come across.

Fully agree with that comment, having used Westhaven, Gulf harbour and Bayswater all recently. Top bunch in at Half Moon Bay.

Different experience to what I had a about 4 years ago. Motored into HMB and the guy was decidedly grumpy and sent me packing when i admitted no insurance. Shabby looking boat probably didnt help. Totally different reception at the boat club, who provided a berth for night, invited into clubrooms, shower, the works. Cannot remember the charge but must have been OK. There is actually a lot of grumpy buggers in Auckland for visiting yachts I think they make a prejudgement  if the boats not flash and polished.

I have always found the individuals working at Gulf Harbour great. But the company and its rules and rippoff rates not so good at all. You have to wonder if they are deliberatily trying to chase boaties away so that their mates in the trailer fizz boats can have more of the hardstand for their racks.

I would agree that the staff are usually helpfulish. But unless you are a berth holder they are not particulary interested in providing any services. I have found this at HMB and Pineharbour within the last 12mths. HMB being more amenable of the two. In 1996 when I rented a berth at Pineharbour one of the guys dived in and changed my prop for me no charge: and when the waste oil container got washed into the marina they hauled and washed my boat before I even knew it had happened.

Things are definitely different now I am a mere visitor: But I don't think the core business is really to provide service to private boat users any more: seems a lot more commercial orientated so people like me are not to be overly encouraged to use their services.

I once had a crew member to drop off at the bottom of Queen st somewhere to catch a bus and didnt know which wharf to use,. Viaduct basin was open and pretty quiet as it was winter so went in there , miles of empty pontoons. Had been around the Gulf for a week and were hanging out for a decent coffee so thought we could tie up there and go to one of the cafes with the yacht  in sight in case a boat came in and we had to move along a bit. Hadnt even got the line around the bollard and this guy comes running down saying you cannot stop there, cannot stop there. No hello. good day  how you going, nothing.  Just ignorant.