Anchor watch app

Really there is no need to motor fwd at 1st - that bit is "let the cat do it". Unless it is pretty windy, you can normally use the winch to lift the chain off the bottom - then wait, while the boat moves fwd towards the anchor, take the chain off the bottom again, etc till the chain is up and down. You can often build up enough momentum by that point to simply lock the chain, and the boats momentum will be enough to break out the anchor. Otherwise, then engine assist can help. Once broken out, it's not much load to lift it aboard. Many do motor fwd, which is ok, still relieves the winch load, but it's not as seaman like :thumbup: .

However, to make this clear;

It's not the MOTOR LOAD I'm talking about here. It's the load on the worm drive in the gearbox, as the winch tries to override the clutch and pay out when the anchor is up and down, and the winch is (should be!) stopped. AT the very least, use the chain pawl, although a really stuck anchor could rip the winch from the deck - hence my comment about the chain hook, snubber and anchor bollard/cleat. They (should be) are designed for the loads....

It is the worm drive and gear (broken teeth) that have failed on mine, 2 x in a bit over 1000 nights at anchor... I now try to use this method virtually all the time. Just seems sensible.

The anchor winch is supposed to lift the ground tackle, not pull the boat to it, nor break it out after X tons of boat have pulled it well in and set it deep!

Good stuff, cheers.

The Apple app is 'Boat Mon R'. Yes it works fine. You can select a range and/or and arc that the yacht must not drift past. You can then have it send a text or email to warn you. You can also use the iphone you have taken to shore to log in any time and view the real time location of your yacht with a satellite image of the bay.

You need to leave an iPhone on board (connect to charger) that has the app set up (have to set up once an account with the server) and running. It needs an Internet connection, all the iphones have natural GPS. The other option is to leave on board an ipad with natural GPS and a SIM card with an Internet connection.