Cape Jackson Query

I've been sailing the Marlborough Sounds the last couple of weeks and I came across an old salt based at Picton who swears one should only round Cape Jackson at high tide Wellington. I'd never heard that advice before.

Do any of you share that view, or have alternative suggestions. 

Best to carry the tide with you. Flood tide goes towards north, ebb tide goes towards south. Most tide tables seem to use Port Taranaki as the reference for tide times in Cook Strait. Best to avoid Jackson passage if the tide is flowing against a strong wind (e.g., flood tide going North against a NW wind) as there is a dangerous rip between the light and Cape Jackson. There have been quite a few yachts had big scares going through that rip. A guy on a 40 footer lost his life there a couple of years ago when he was thrown overboard in the rip and could not get back on board. That said if you pick your tide and suitable weather you might wonder what all the fuss is about. 

I've been through Jackson passage in diverse conditions on large and small yachts, but many years ago now.

Good luck

It's no problem for a well found yacht in reasonable weather. Tide with you is the way - up to several knots extra speed. Great tide info in the front of the cruising guide, giving speeds and directions every hour. Worth getting a copy if this is more than a single visit to the area.

At full flow on big tides, the flow speed can be faster than many yachts can make. That maybe what the "Old Salt"was referring too. It is a place that deserves so respect, but once you know the area, just as IT said, you wonder what all the fuss is about.

But in saying that, of you have 25kts and above, take great care going right out to the end of the reef and around the rock.

That rock (it's called Walker Rock) is really nasty, and in a decent sea, can be very difficult to see, especially so at night.

The cruising guide doesn't have much information for Cape Jackson, certainly nothing in respect to when slack water occurs. The tidal diagrams only show an arrow but no times. It was the first place I looked.

In my version of the Guide (5th edition 1994) Keith Murray says 'The passage between the lighthouse and the Cape is clear for cruising boats, but often has tide rips and overfalls and generally to avoid these nearer to the land, than the lighthouse. There are strong tidal streams through this passage and to the seaward side of the lighthouse. These often run up to 4 knots, and set to the north-west with the incoming tide, and to the south-east with the outgoing tide. If the passage. If the passage between the Cape and the lighthouse is not passable then it's better to travel well out past Walker Rock. Avoid the area in bad weather.'

Although in writing this post now, I've looked up the NZ Pilot from where I think Keith has basically just extracted the above. It states 'The tidal streams around Cape Jackson are rapid and there is but little slack water. A strong eddy is formed ...' But it does go on to say 'The flood stream commences about -0030 Wellington and the ebb stream about +0530 Wellington.' So the advice I was given prompting my first post wasn't too bad irrespective of stream direction (at least at the Cape itself).

I missed seeing your Post Grant, so hence the much later addition to this thread.
I have once passed through the gap with ebb tide at full flow against me, with my boat at full RPM (about 8kts) I was almost at a standstill. I can only assume it was a King tide, because most times it is not a problem. I was at the point of giving up when I noticed I was making headway, all be it at such a small rate and then ever so slowly increasing in speed that I just kept going. It may have only been 50M to traverse, but it seemed like ages to get through it. There are only 4 other places I know of that are like that (and that is at normal tide flows) Tory entrance, the gap around the top of Cape Komaru, French Pass and Stevens Passage. All (with the exception of Tory) command a great deal of respect.