Which is better and why?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Which is better and why?

• 8.5 Cat
    • 8.5 Tri

I'm a newcomer to the multi forum and these beasts give me heart palpitations - for all the right reasons. So, which is better and why?

Ok so a few comments suggest I need to give more information. I guess this is all about you telling me why you like whatever you like and why. If you like a xxxx cos it's fast and stuff the cruising then tell me. If you like a xxxx cos it's fast and you can cruise it then tell me why too!

I'm a newcomer to the multi forum and these beasts give me heart palpitations - for all the right reasons. So, which is better and why?

Under the 8.5 rule the Cat is clearly favoured !

Well so far anyway, if your goal is to win 8.5 races you should either buy Attitude or Dirty Deeds or build something very similar.

JT's tri being lighter than Lucifer may prove to be a weapon in the light (that is what I expect).

Cat for sure....

the 8.5m rule is there as it is a racing class as well as a cruiser class.....if you want to win races you will need a cat.....

I also think that alot more can be done with the cat designs to tweak the best racing cats to be alot more cruiser friendly without losing much performance.

Maybe some facts might set the record straight. Laurie (owner of new 8.5 tri Lucifer) is busy overseas so ill speak for him.

Theres no doubt at the moment Dirty Deeds is the fastest 8.5 at the moment.

Some people think that Cats are clearly favored, simply by looking at racetrack this would be the case but it doesnt relate the full picture, until Lucifer there hasnt been any Tris apart from Predictwind (which isnt even 8.5m long and hasnt got a full height mast or prod, not exactly optimized for the rule!)

First race Lucifer did was Coastal Classic, having never having put up the race sails until the morning of the race they set off in fairly breezy conditions stretched the bobstay and couldnt use the reacher and came in 15 mins behind DD. not a bad effort for a maiden race.

then there were a few wed night races, getting to know the boat, getting beaten up a bit by the cats.

Then the Bay of Islands race week, first day light breeze, DD and Attitude smoked us every race, we worked out over canting the rig was slow and the kite was too small.

2nd day, Laurie and Dave were off the boat for personal reasons, gave me the "keys" and two crew who had never sailed on it and it was blowing quite hard. I played it safe kept it upright and got smoked again.

3rd day breezy. Regular crew again, beat DD and Attitude twice, then blew out the number two jib.

BMW regatta, Day 1 FD tips over, we were scared played it safe, got beaten.

Day two very close racing, DD wins 4, Lucifer wins 1, with most races within seconds of each other. We worked out sailing with 4 crew (everyone else with 3) is slow....

Day three very light and shifty DD wins harbor race.

A decent tri with a regular crew will certainly be able to give 8.5 line honours a good shot.

OK, I'm hearing some good stuff. What if I throw what is possibly a totally ignorant statement into the mix. In the recent AC the tri beat the cat. I think the wingmast was the cat beater there? Am I wrong or right? But do we know how the tri went without a wingmast and would the outcome have been different if it had soft sails?

My vote goes to folding tri's with trailer as a great all round boat and best value for money as they can be race competitive but still good room for cruising, and when they are not in use for whatever reason they can sit safely in your driveway under a cover, and just 'be' - as opposed to a constant cost on a marina/mooring/out in the weather.

Personally with a young family I could never justify spending 'boat' kind of time/money on something that was not multipurpose. Everybody at least needs some kind of boat, and someone else will take the money off you if you just let it sit there right??

Out of left field, the F27's were built in great numbers in the US, now they are a bit old, but I'm seeing them advertised at pretty low prices (under 40k), when would it become worthwhile to bring one out here?