Jetstream racing mods

As mentioned in the earlier thread in the racing section we have been wanting to have a faster boat. http://crew.org.nz/forum/index.php/topic/12456-upgrading-boat-opinions-wanted/

After sailing on Meister (thanks again!) we have all but decided that the Meister upgrade is the way to go. So I thought I would once again tap into your collective wisdom and see if you had any more useful ideas to help us plan/organise the upgrade. The main things we are changing are the reshaped bow, new keel and re-rigging for a mast head kite. 

We have found an engineer who is sussing out the viability of installing a new bulb keel, but we don't have a builder lined up. Do any of you know of a builder in tauranga or auckland that you would recommend for this type of work? We are happy to do most of the grunt work ourselves and just get the builder to do the more technical bits.

Also what are your thoughts on vinyl vs paint? My main concern is price and longevity. How easy is it to spray a boat? I have access to a commercial airless sprayer, would that be the go? 

Thanks in advance!

I can talk to the guy who built mine amd see if he is interested. We have the laser cutters just up the road from him who could cut all the frames and then he can weld it all together.

I have all the cut files for the fin. I can also get some fairing boards to help with the fairing.

My thought is unless you have the ability to spray paint yourself vinyl wrapping would be alot cheaper. Spray painting is a bit of an art and will giver you a better finish but for alot more coin?

I dont believe you will get a good finish with an airless spray gun? I could be wroung but that is what i heard.

• Upvote 1

I would jump on that offer from the Meister there are plenty of Guys around Tga who could do the fabrication for you but all the cut files  and fairing boards are invaluable. 

As for spraying I know someone who has a pressure pot and compressor you could probably borrow for a box of Beer or two, It is the one I used for Rocky I sprayed it myself and am pretty happy with the finish it's the second boat I have sprayed the first being a trailer yacht, good prep is the key. We got some cheap paint left over from another job for the topcoats so that wasn't that expensive but all the undercoats\ still add up. Talk to Steve at Steve's Marine and some of the local painters they may have some paint left over from another job going cheap.

It may pay to ask Mr Meister nicely, about a mould or plug for the keel bulb also. :thumbup:

• Upvote 1

Mike Rees has the mould, it is the latest bulb the ross 930's have been getting No Worries and the entertainer and Mike is using the same bulb on his own ross 930.

The story is that its a greg elliott bulb and was the first bulb for overload elliott 30SS and then they changed to a lighter bulb

As far as topsides paint goes - you can't go past Autothane C.V for price and toughness.

It's a 2 pot Epoxy designed for commercial vehicles, available in any colour under the sun. I used it for the cabin, decks and hull on the Shapeshifter, it was my first time spraying anything like a boat and it came out mint. Cured fast and is hard as nails.

Any automotive paint store will be able to get it for you.

• Upvote 1