Reef Rite in boom main sail furler

I am wondering if any one has made any off shore passages with a reef rite main furler? My new boat (Salthouse 36) has one and I find it fantastic for day sailing.... BUT things can get a bit hairy if you are running and get caught with you pants down and full sail up when the wind gets up and you have failed to reef early enough. They are not forgiving, or are there some tricks i am yet to learn?  .   

Have your topping lift marked at the right height to make the sail furl/unfurl properly, this is usually 89 degrees, ((ust slightly above a right angle) so the luff rope rolls up on the mandrel without causing a Clusterfuck, I would suggest you try it either in the marina or at anchor a lot first. Dont try and roll it up while deep reaching/running, head up and do it upwind as it will ultimately cause less hassles. I've been on a bigger boat that has had its furling system fail while trying to reef, the whole mainsail unwound off the free spinning boom mandrel and we were lucky to get the mainsail back on board and keep the rig in the boat, all while it was blowing 45-50+

• Upvote 1

Appreciate the feed back. I am no new bee to sailing having about 25k ocean miles under my belt, but first experience with a main sail furler.  Have noted advice re marking topping lift as I have discovered that the angle of the boom is critical to a neat and tidy reef. Coming up to the wind also makes sense. I think I have been asking the impossible of this basically sound system. Know your gear and don't get caught with your pants down is obviously the best advice! Cheers!