Knot Me... maybe

Wet gear

With all due respect we were doing 18 knots when you were on the lee side getting the zero down dambo.

I don't think any wet weather gear would cope well with that - or the drenching from the rain after the te kouma race on sat. Its more about pressure sending the droplets though the laminate. 

I've found musto hpx is the best and buy it off trade me second hand as new as I can find. Ususally you can get a reasonable set of some numpty or professional sailer for around $ 600. My last set was brand new including seaboots for $ 600 off a guy who decided he didn't like sailing - love those types.   Then wash it, tumble dry it and treat with nikwax. 

It still leaks but less than other stuff. 

Ah yes, I remember my old PVC line 7 gear. Absolutely watertight till the day in Alaska when it froze overnight and snapped in half.

I find it interesting to see most of the commercial gear is still PVC or PVC coated something, even the Line 7 commercial seems bugger all different today than 30 years ago. I also see that Swedish Grunden gear has a little symbol that denotes the material can handle freezing, so it seems snapping your wet gear is still a issue for some.

As I've been saying a lot lately, as new and improved as much stuff is, the sh*t our parents used is still better.

With all due respect we were doing 18 knots when you were on the lee side getting the zero down dambo.

I don't think any wet weather gear would cope well with that

On the hardness scale gear that couldn't handle 18kt wet stuff would be rated as "Pussy grade - good for bright sunny days with a possibility of showers but not much worse weather. Applications include primary school girls walking less than 100mts to school or security guards while standing under a cover"

I have bike gear that can handle 50 knots piece of piss. Fishermen worldwide would be dieing on mass if wet gear couldn't handle 18kts.

We are not the only ones with these issues, there has been a noticeable move in the UK over the last few years away from the technical stuff back to wearing wool under PVC as we all used to without leaks.

Guy Cotton and Henri Lloyd have re-introduced yellow PVC in to their ranges as people buck against paying over NZ$1000 for something that leaks.

Perhaps not what you're looking for, but when I have to stay dry (like spring and autumn in Wisconsin) I wear my Kokatat GFER - https://kokatat.com/product/gore-tex-front-entry-dry-suit-dsugfer

Extremely reliable and highly regarded for their after sales service. But pricey. I got mine second hand for USD500 on ebay.

My Musto Gore-tex pants (that stayed in the bag on Saturday) were hanging in the laundry today, but between humid weather and salt they started to poor water (all over the washing machine :evil:

I have a box in the garage with two sets of yellow PVCs - I may get a pair out for the Route 66 if it's wet.