The War on Liveaboards Continues

Happy hunting ground for crooks then, an unexpected benefit of having good liveaboards on your pier was demonstrated at Westypark years ago when all crime stopped despite no apparent security guys.

When the Westhaven development is finished there is provision for liveaboards which we all look forward to as it will be like the sixties when the public could walk past the squadron and observe the many and varied offshore cruising yachts.

But yeah that sucks, Has anyone given any real justifications for the ban? I heard about NRC taking some guy at anchor in Whangarei to court for living aboard at anchor in the harbour

whats the problem with liveaboards?free security.Maybe draw the line hanging up nappies.Oh thats right,living for next to nothing while rate payers pay millions for same view.yes the 1970s were great at westhaven seeing overseas yachts and dreaming that could be me.

whats the problem with liveaboards?free security.Maybe draw the line hanging up nappies.

Nope, GH has a laundromat next to the travel lift for liveaboards to use, I've never seen one with laundry hanging on the boat

Oh thats right,living for next to nothing while rate payers pay millions for same view.

Plain old jealousy? Doesn't stack up either. This came from the marina management. Maybe the neighbours complained to them, but I have heard nothing of it. Plus the liveaboards pay in direct proportion to the space they occupy. It's called rent (which would include a % for rates). The marina is there to make a profit and will charge market rental, and that damned invisible hand will make sure the berth holder pays exactly what it is worth.

yes the 1970s were great at westhaven seeing overseas yachts and dreaming that could be me.

On this we agree, I used to love walking the docks and checking out the overseas visitors and hopefully talking to them. Helped me get to where I am today.

When we were lived aboard, we kept an eye on many boats in the Marina. If there as a big blow, which it sure could do at times, I would often wander around and check lines on peoples boats. Then the Marina rules changed and I was no longer able to touch lines anymore. All I could do was tell the Marina Manager and all they did was just called the owner, which often the owner was 4hrs away in CHCH. There was a Markline 1100 that all of it's windybouys had popped in a real big blow. So I tied a heap of my own fenders along the side if it to protect it. The owners were so happy, they gave us several bottles of wine as reward.
I agree, live aboard yachties are a great bonus to have in any Marina.
I am however, against freeloaders that have a thing they call a boat because it sort of floats, but it could never be taken out of the Marina for fear a wavelet would sink it, or just die of fright because it suddenly had no marina finger to lean against. and especially against them if they are the reason genuine boaties can't liveaboard. Which I know of one Marina that is like that. And another Marina says that one every month or two, you have to be able to take you boat out of the marina and back. Which I think is very fair.