Any new technology updates?

We did have the chart plotter freak out on us at barrier this year for a few minutes, never happened before and not since. Don't know what it was , wasn't loss of signal , just a shift in position. I assume some sort of atmospheric issue( but I haven't heard of it happening to anyone else)

I had the same thing with my Garmin handheld GPS out at Barrier last year.  We were comfortably anchored up and the GPS showed me anchored ashore about 50 metres away!

Thanks Jon. I didn't mention my phone has the same stuff as the tablet as well in case I freaked Knots out about having 4 screens.The tablet is pretty cool actually and I do use it a lot. We did have the chart plotter freak out on us at barrier this year for a few minutes, never happened before and not since. Don't know what it was , wasn't loss of signal , just a shift in position. I assume some sort of atmospheric issue( but I haven't heard of it happening to anyone else)

We often had 4 or more mobile devices with navionics loaded on board at a time plus a handheld Garmin that never came out of the bag except about once a month used to fire it up briefly so t had a rough idea what part of the globe we were sitting on.

All you need now is an Iridium Go and you'll be fully mobile and set to circumnavigate ;-)

Ok, I just checked, the andriod version of opencpn can do it as well. Add the VMG instrument to the dashboard.

Also apps

Sail timer

Race Sailing VMG optimizer

Sail Racer

and a heap of others. Search in Google...

• Upvote 1

I had the same thing with my Garmin handheld GPS out at Barrier last year.  We were comfortably anchored up and the GPS showed me anchored ashore about 50 metres away!

Ours was more like a mile , one minute it was good , nek minute we were in the middle of an island . And it was constant as that measurement out in the same direction. Ie 1 mile ( approx, North),we moved , it moved.

I restarted the plotter after a while and it came good, and has been right since so I do believe it was an anomaly of some sort rather than a hardware problem.

We often had 4 or more mobile devices with navionics loaded on board at a time plus a handheld Garmin that never came out of the bag except about once a month used to fire it up briefly so t had a rough idea what part of the globe we were sitting on.

All you need now is an Iridium Go and you'll be fully mobile and set to circumnavigate ;-)

Will do ( although we'd be happy with island hopping in 17), appreciate your input Jon.

Ours was more like a mile , one minute it was good , nek minute we were in the middle of an island . And it was constant as that measurement out in the same direction. Ie 1 mile ( approx, North),we moved , it moved.

I restarted the plotter after a while and it came good, and has been right since so I do believe it was an anomaly of some sort rather than a hardware problem.

John, would have been interesting to have a look at the satellite reception data on your unit at that time - fewer sats or poor signals give poorer position quality. Most plotters can give you a list of which sats you can see and signal quality data...

I should have done that , next time I will . With my old handheld I would probably have done it by flicking the pages as you do.... but it didn't even occur to me to go through the plotter menus looking for that.

Thanks Matt .

I thought an iPad would be an adequate answer for my navigation with Navionics loaded. What I didn't see as a problem that on a bright sunny day, the USB based charger can't keep up with the screen brightness energy demand, and so gradually goes flat. 

There are chargers and chargers. You probably want to check your charger can deliver 2.1 Amp. If you have an original Apple, it probably does that, so no remedy in that case.