insurance for sth pacfic ?

Hi all..heading for New Cal then Vanuatu in a few weeks.

(From Oz).

Any suggestions for public liability insurance (Please may I come into your marina insurance)

Cant afford offshore full insurance and boat is currently insured in all Australian territorial limits.

Boat has high spec safety stuff..excellent condition. Two up.

It may be worth contacting the marinas you intend visiting to see if this insurance is required or not. If yes, ask if they can recommend some local insurers.

I doubt if any blue water insurer would want to provide 3rd part PL only as no money in it for them, however you could ask Pantaenius if this is possible

http://www.pantaenius.com.au/en/insurance-service/solution-for/bluewater-sail-motor.html

I would talk to your current provider and see if they will give you a temporary extension of policy coverage that encompasses marinas in the two Islands. Very few have transit insurance because it is usually really expensive and thus they put their boat on a transport ship instead of sail it. I think that if you are experienced and confident enough(which I know you are IB) then just sail it.

I had a quote for full insurance including the Tasman crossing for 90k us was 1200 us. American broker with a Lloyds firm .just needed a survey first. I have been surprised how cheap the insurance quotes I have had here 90k for 900 and 175 k for around 1200 nz OK to go offshore as long as the surveyor is happy.

If you are getting it just for Marina liability there arent really any Marinas in Vanuatu where I thought that would be an issue - just a wall to tie up to Med style in Vila.. New Cal (Noumea) you can always anchor out and go in just for fuel ... I f you are wanting it for peace of mind that is different but for actual liability risks they could be minimal..

Thanks for the reply's..

I dont have a lot of time and a lot to do to get properly ready so any input is very helpful.

(...and I have to do 800 NM before I even jump off the cost..)

I'm not a marina lover, and only stayed in a couple in Tahiti where they asked for insurance, but not specifically public liability.  When looking at NZ Marinas, however, I needed to have $1M coverage, and my insurer sold me this as a seperate addon.  I can't remember the cost, but it was affordable and I just considered it part of the cost of being in an NZ marina.

Please publish your findings because I will also be heading to Fiji / Vanuatu / New Caledonia this year.