Loud engines at sunset

Over Easter I was once again reminded of the total ignorance of many launchies,

running either main propulsion engines at high idle or improperly installed gensets just around sunset, and some in the early morning, what is the need for this surely with all that power they can survive over night? A modern genset should be almost imperceptible running by the other boats in the average Kiwi anchorage, not roaring and sploshing all the time I feel it is time to name and shame these polluters of a different kind.

Yole grump.

But I agree , it can be pretty inconsiderate. Most of these big boats are 240 volts now , they need their gen sets running to power the TV and the toaster.( but you knew that)

They are certainly my pet hate at the moment. I suspect most don't realise how noisy they are away from their boat. As you say, running the damned things in the middle of the day would be much more considerate.

On those big stinkpots, you can't hear the genset inside. The noise is louder to those in line with the exhaust, being us other boats, than it is to those inside the boat. I have purposely not run my genset in some anchorages purely because I knew some would be upset. But as already said, many of these boats are now powered totally by the genset. They even have an electric oven. I was anchored in one bay with another large boat that had a genny running 24hrs a day. The weather was not great and the noise didn't bother us, but I was thinking of how much fuel he must have been using. We were there for 3 days and it ran all that time continuously.

I understand the requirement for AC on these boats, but have also been involved with installing many sets and there is rarely a good reason for them to be so noisy outside the vessel if installed correctly with a proper exhaust setup.

Bit trickier on a yacht depending how averse you are to holes in the hull, assuming the sound shell is working as designed, exhaust first into conventional waterlock sized to suit the pipe size and volume then up to a water separator and drop straight out below water for the fluid and just above waterline for the gases, Vetus have all the bits available locally as do Northern Lights etc, It is the way most superyachts do it and is remarkably effective, there is a little more to it but that is the basic scenario without being specific about heights and so on  

• Upvote 1

Thanks. The info for the geny gave two options, one being that water separator system. I was curious as to what was better. The info only said that it removed the noise from the splashing water and i was thinking that if splashing water was the only issue, I wouldn't be that worried.

You would be surprised how much noise the splashing water makes. We were at the Barrier at xmas. On a lovely quiet morning it was louder than the birdsong.

I'm reasonably tolerant but it prompted us to move.

You would be surprised how much noise the splashing water makes.

It's the intermixed cries of "help I'm drowning" that I find the more annoying and which usually cause us to move on. ;-)

You would be surprised how much noise the splashing water makes. We were at the Barrier at xmas. On a lovely quiet morning it was louder than the birdsong.

I'm reasonably tolerant but it prompted us to move.

Y'ole grump.

We were at Station bay last weekend and there was three boats in there total. Maybe its your choice of anchorages? maybe you need to be less risk averse and more adventurous about where you go. A nice lee shore and you're pretty well guaranteed there won't be any launchy gen sets.

( I'd put a smiley wink face in here but they won't work for me)