For a multihull first timer cat or tri?

Atom Ant

Cat or Tri  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Cat or Tri

• Cat
    • Tri

it will probably be up for sale within a year as I am building a larger F32RX.

emc

That sounds interesting, is yours similar to 'Need for Speed'? and what price range are you looking at? pm or ring me if you like 021993863

Push Play (F8.2R) is a sister to Need for Speed, is Professionally built by the same builder in Nelson ?

Has all the go fast gear with not a lot of use. Look on Racetrack, its a very fast boat.

Tim Bartlett (owner) will sell it as they don't use it very much.

Aren't Tri's easier to anchor when cruising too?

No bridles etc and better balanced when swung off the center hull?

True or False?

Some tris can be a real handful at anchor, as in they sail about all over the place.

Generally has to do with the weight of the boat versus the windage/size of the mast.

wing masts on Light boats are a nightmare at anchor or on a mooring.

Tri's are a pain in the arse. They rock around all over the place everytime someone moves. You normally have to prop one hull up with the dinghy. When you're rafted up and somebody walks across all hell breaks loose with hulls going up and down all over the place. Fenders rolling out of place. Cats sit nice together, even against leaners. Tri's are all elbows and knees.

I had a good look at that Dragonfly before I bought Tigre. They are good boats and it’s very handy to be able to fit one onto a standard marina berth.

The Amas have been painted badly so not sure what that’s covering up. Needs a prod too.

Hi guys, I saw the dragonfly ad on T/Me & wondered about it. The folding float is interesting too. It is certainly worth having a look at.

I must say guys I'm very grateful for the interest and advice you've given me. 19 votes with a 13 - 6 majority favouring trimarans as an ideal machine for a middle aged multihull virgin! Sundreamer thanks too for your input regarding potential anchoring issues!

I've had some generous offers of multihull experience so that I can try before I buy and that is great - am looking forward to it!

If you guys think of anything else, please feel free to let me know!

The DF amas stay in the water so you won't get the rocking issue when at anchor. Centerboard and kick up rudder too... handy for hitting the bottom and getting away with it! :D

Think you should also be eligible for the grandfather clause for the 8.5 rule - the DF has a taller mast.

If you guys think of anything else, please feel free to let me know!

one thing i should mention after being such a tri supporter.

speed for $ you cant beat a cat.

Theres no 8.5 tris that will be faster then the top 8.5s for anywhere near the 50k mark such as Hooter and Attitude, you'd be looking at over 150k for a carbon Farrier or Demon Tri and I wouldnt think the DF would have a sh*t show at beating the fast 8.5 cats

In face theres simply nothing at all on the market that can beat Attitude or Hooters $ for Speed.

Yes I've seen already that cats win hands down on "entry level" bang for buck. I must admit to "feeling" as though tri's would be stiffer than cats. But I freely admit that I have no idea if that's really the case, it kinda just looks that way to me. Having a stiff leadmine, there's been no penalty for being slow on the main or what ever. Just the odd broach and round up. I guess with a cat it's either sharpen up or bottoms up?

At a small size you are very unlikely to get a "gun" race boat that also happens to be a brilliant cruiser.

Certainly if your partners reaction to JT's tri is that it is too small downstairs, then clearly you are going to need a more cruising oriented option.

Attitude or Hooters are very minimalist downstairs.

the Farriers do have better layout/accom for cruising.

they hold their value well, but cost a lot in the first place.

in terms of being easier to sail and an easier progression from Atom Ant, I would think you will find a tri a much easier step up.

I like the tri because it goes to windward so well. Not all cats are stiff enough to go well to windward especially in the light/medium.

Cheers Mr Wolf. Being a "gun" boat is not a high priority as I doubt very much I'll be sailing down to town to race. I'll likely just do the Olympics and short handed racing at Weiti. The "cruising" side of things has to be enough so that I can do the odd overnighter. Yes my other 'arf would find JT's tri a bit too minimalist, but she also doesn't care about holidaying on a boat anyway. Let's face it a 25 - 28 ft tri is going to provide less room downstairs than a mono of the same length. 95% of my sailing is day sailing. I.e racing, or a day sail to Tiri or Rakino. It doesn't have to be the ritz down below - just functional and tidily done. But I do see your point - the Farrier tri's have more space downstairs and still go pretty well - such as the 25 for sale. Fire n Ice looks very nice although there are no photos of the interior available and the boat is 5 hours away in Northland so I can't even look at it easily.

I looked at F-27's in the US of A but they're still expensive and I'll only have as much money as I can sell the Ant for. The new Dragonflys look nice...

as far as the small cats go, penelope looks like it has a good bit of room in it, and would be perfect for a big boom tent as the tramps are all quite flush.

dont know if its for sale, but it doens't seem to get much use. Just sits on xyz pier at westhaven.

as far as the small cats go, penelope looks like it has a good bit of room in it, and would be perfect for a big boom tent as the tramps are all quite flush.

dont know if its for sale, but it doens't seem to get much use. Just sits on xyz pier at westhaven.

As the Designer of SS Penelope, and one of the first boats to the Open 8.5 rule, that was one of the intentions to have some usable space, rather than a skinny race only multi. If you are interested PM me and I'll give you the owners details. Certainly a nicely built and detailed boat, and the fastest 8.5 in the Coastal in 2006.

The problem is that modern small (like under 9m) modern multis are few and far between here. Fire and Ice and the DF have been for sale for ages at prices that compare more than favourably than bringing something similar in from overseas. Not many new ones get built and few production boats seem to have been imported to here.

If you mainly daysail, are not worried about trumping the 8.5 fleet, and don't have to have an interior with all the trimmings to keep a spouse happy, I'd suggest the following:

1) Look at the blue GBE thats been for sale for a while. Looks a good deal to me. Spend a few K to fix up and resist the temptation to add an 8.5 race-worthy sail wardrobe/rig and I reckon you'd fulfill all your stated requirements.

2) the Woods Wizard for sale on TM. A little on the small side (22 feet) but they've been built all over the world and the owners seem to love them. For 13 K or so - sh*t you couldn't come close to building one for that money. And it has a dinette that can convert to a double berth :shock:

3) If you have a bit more coin, Ian Farrier is about to start putting kits and eventually complete versions, molded in NZ, for his F22 Tri design into production. No prices have been mentioned yet, but they would have to be competitive with the Corsair Sprint 750 sailaway, @ about 85K Oz, which already has an established fleet - in the US anyway - or they won't sell.

http://www.multihulls.net.au/index.php?page=ed&de=12555

http://www.f-boat.com/pages/trimarans/F-22.html

Or you can build. Then your options are immense, and hopefully your spare time is too :think:

Any word on how that modified GBE/Turris that arrived in Bayswater Marina a few months back sails?

She does look to have a nice bit of room and well set up for Mum. Just wondering is she still sails fast.

Archived