Sign in to follow this  
Fish

Reoccurring Engine Failure / Deisel Problem

I dont like CAV filter housings - they leak, are very messy and slow to change if you have a blockage in a emergency.

Get a racor - much easier to change filters and no mess in the bilge - see Transdiesel

Good thread this one. Learning heaps. Wheels, I get it why you would run your return line back to the filter. Makes sense. Does this make bleeding any harder though? Also, fuel tanks should never get a vacuum if the breather is OK.

Any photos of the Racor set up bubblegum? Never seen one.. Does it have a glass bowl so you can see water??

If a CAV is done up correctly, they should not leak. Never had one leak yet.But yes, they are mesy to change because the filter element is also the body of the entire assembly, so to remove it you spill fuel.

Racor is a manufacturer of a range of proffesional Filters. From a small unit up to flamin great enormouse stuff. And all of them a real expensive. The smallest will be somewhere around the $600 mark I expect. Been awhile since I bought one.

I bought a Racor filter assembly & element for may last yacht with a Yanmar 2GM20 diesel. I had the assembly fitted in July 09;

Racor Filter assembly - $237.77

10 micron filter assembly - $65.03

I had a CAV estimated at $90.00 for the assembly and $5.50 for the filter.

All prices included GST. I chose the more expensive Racor because it was easier for me to bleed if I ever had too. I have a CAV in my 1020 and even the diesel mechanics grumble about it.

As an FYI I also had a vacuum gauge fitted so as I could tell when the filter element needed changing. I don't have one of these on the 1020 (yet).

Oh and I have just been informed that I have water back in my 1020 tank :evil: I'm getting the O ring replaced on my filler cap even tho the original looked perfectly OK. After that who knows ..... condensation has been ruled out cause the tank it always full!

Farrari, where does you breather pipe lead to?

(Interested because I haven't been down to the boat since this discussion started to trace my system).

Have to say, I'm looking forward to the day I have done some good hours under motor in hard conditions to get some confidence that she'll keep hammering away.

Have to say, I'm looking forward to the day I have done some good hours under motor in hard conditions to get some confidence that she'll keep hammering away.

Ye olde marine diesel is a remarkably forgiving beast as long as it's receiving the basic necessities in a reasonably clean form. If it suddenly starts giving you grief, you know something has changed.

Knowing what to look for when that happens is a different story and I agree, this is a bloody good thread.

Two suggestions:

1). Put a diesel fuel pump after filter but before engine.

Either an electrical fuel pump or a squeeze bulb (outboard type). Makes priming a lot quicker and easier.

2). Some filters have a small screw in plug in the bottom of the glass bowl. It is easy to bleed off any water & dirt into an icecream container, naturally emptied first :lol: .

Sorry I don't know which brand, but the extra cost of little plug could be well worth it. A lot simpler than undoing the whole filter assembly, especially in a seaway where all the dirt / bug / water is being stirred up.

It is a VERY good idea to mount the primary filter away from the drive belts and other moving parts :thumbup:

It's a good idea to mount the filter in as easy to access position as possible. Along with the Oil dip stick, the oil cap, the water cap, the engine anodes, the saltwater pump impellor, the alternator belts, the watercooling belts, the gearbox dip stick, the gearbox filler cap, the......oh dear.

I installed an electric pump after the filter.

It blew up as it didn't like suction I assume.

I installed another identical pump before the filter and it is going fine still.

The motor will run without it but the injector pump runs noisier without the electric one to pressurise the input to the injector pump.