How many days did you have the boat on the anchor?

What does that have to do with the topic?

Folks, The topic is that under the umbrella of an organization, a Person pr Persons, that may or may not even have any experience in the construction of vessels, has told the Owner, that's the person that knows the boat the best, to have the Boat inspected in a way that could be very expensive.

Pretty simply put. It is floating, the Owner is happy who the hell cares. If it was a danger to Shipping or some kind of Hazard, then different story.

And Ed, I really don't see your post as being helpful in anyway.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Could almost be a Herreshoff Nereia 36 with a slightly modified cabintop.   Haiqu, we are obviously vastly different in our views of boat maintenance and seamanship- regardless of what material our

Posted Images

So back on topic can anyone comment on a nz harbourmasters or maritime nz's powers in comparison to the above

Very little. Providing it is not a hazard to Shipping in anyway. As in, it is likely to sink and be a problem in some way. I imagine that each Region in NZ will have their own differing bylaws that may or may not change that slightly.

Slightly aside from the Topic, guys I am trying to make this particular Forum "unthreatening" to those taking a look in here. We have a constant growing number of newbies on the FB page and I have promoted this Forum, as find it a lot easier to use than the forum on FB. Or at least I do anyway.  But very few seem to want to pop across here. I am not sure why. Maybe because they get all that they want from the FB page, or maybe because they don't want to sign up to a Boating Forum. I simply don't know the answer. But I want to ensure it is not that they are scared off because they feel like they are being made fun of, or bullied, or whatever, just because they are into FC boats.
So don't get me wrong, I am not taking aim at anyone. I am just trying to make this as friendly as possible.

I want to ensure it is not that they are scared off because they feel like they are being made fun of, or bullied, or whatever, (...) I am just trying to make this as friendly as possible.

Bravo that man!

And sorry for the slight drift that follows...

Has anyone else noticed a decline in active users of late?

I'm sure there are more than half a dozen users, but it seems to always be the same few posting.

I realise that it is winter here, hence the "off season" if there is such a thing, but it seems awfully quiet around here lately.

Are people scared of being harassed? or simply too busy? Or am I totally of the mark?

I love the sailing game, in all its forms, and this is the first place I come to get my daily fix when I can't get to the water.

My guess is that the anchor chain tangled despite having a swivel, and when it shortened sufficiently the cracking came first, then the break. All of which is well above the water line.

I assume this boat was anchored for quite a while for the anchor chain to tangle and get shortened sufficiently to cause it to break away. This old boat could have done a fair bit of damage to other boats if it came charging through other moored boats especially a multihull.

Our insurance policy will not insure us if we anchor without being on the boat itself.  This boat should have been on a proper certified mooring that has two swivels.

I would bet this boat has no third party damage insurance either. It would have to have a inspection cert for that.

Please scrap this boat.

How many days did you have the boat on the anchor?

I was aboard two weeks before this happened and the anchor chain was not fouled. It was in shallow water and occasionally bottomed at low tide so I really can't see how it could have tangled, but that theory is all I have right now. The chain, as I said, was 18 months old.