Next project.

Guest 000

Looking at this stitch and tape construction for small boats, where wire is used to hold joints until the adhesive hardens and is then removed.

Why does every designer specify copper for the ties when florists wire can be had at the same gauge, strength and flexibility but at a fraction of the cost? Is there a reason for using copper?

a couple of advantages of copper wire 

- wrapping it around a soldering iron causes it to quickly heat so it breaks the epoxy bond and can be cleanly pulled out with a minimal sized hole

- soft enough not to cut into thin ply if over tightened and can be more easily retensioned if required to keep the edges fair

so if you've got it use it

if not other wires and ties can be used with a little more care

Cable ties! What a great idea, hadn't thought of that one. Going to give it a try.

Sick to death of Chinese deflatables with their limited life so resurrecting the molds and templates that I have for a 2.3m nesting clinker praam and going into production again. Plan to build one for me and a few extra and see show they go on TradeMe.

Cable ties! What a great idea, hadn't thought of that one. Going to give it a try.

Sick to death of Chinese deflatables with their limited life so resurrecting the molds and templates that I have for a 2.3m nesting clinker praam and going into production again. Plan to build one for me and a few extra and see show they go on TradeMe.

hmmm....

battling a deflateable now...

how much are you thinking for a nesting?

4mm?

pm fine

"clinker pram"

nest2.JPG

uh oh

missed that first time round

clinker beautiful but far more labour intensive than a box 

Ken if you read this this, weren't you looking at making a ply nesting dinghy?

HPIM3429.jpg

Check out the Eastport Nesting Praam by Chesapeake Light Craft.

I have had a set of plans for a while and have templated every part in 3mm MDF to facilitate semi mass production. I haven't built this particular dinghy before but think it will be suitable as a tender for a smaller cruiser. I am an avid builder of traditional clinker dinghies and imagine that marrying traditional design with modern materials and construction techniques should produce a very satisfactory and pretty alternative to to those darned deflatables.

Picking up a load of ply,glass and resin tomorrow. Giving myself two weeks from go to whoa.

Ken if you read this this, weren't you looking at making a ply nesting dinghy?

I'd like to. I quite like the woods duo design.

Very slowly working on a 4' dinghy for my daughter at the moment.

image.jpeg

I built 4 kids dinghies for my three, they're all redundant now. The first one was a lemon, the second a bit better and the third and fourth Des Townson complimented me on, which I appreciated.He wasn't exactly known for mincing words, He told me at length how he disliked our first yacht , but then spent a lot of time telling me how after much consideration , Laurie Davidson got it absolutely right with our second( Ha!)

But those little boats were absolutely thrashed by my kids and any other kid in our cruising group. Hard worked little boats, very rewarding seeing the kids go all independent in them.

I build a Joansa a few years back now, only draws 90mm , still havent build oars , my advice now is to build the oars first ! Clipper that looks like a Welsford "Roofrack" I am building one as in theory it will fit the foredeck. I am making the short light model 1850 long 4.5mm thick ply. I have made the top  panels over height so I can scribe the foredeck shape on it when upsidedown so it can be tied down snug.  The gunnel might look a bit odd in the water but who cares. Weather there is in reality room for it practically on the foredeck time will tell. 

I'd like to. I quite like the woods duo design.

Very slowly working on a 4' dinghy for my daughter at the moment.

Hi Clipper,

What do you call that dinghy, and where do you get the plans from?

And also, what would be an appropriate age to start kids in dinghies (buy themselves)?

I've been pondering making a dinghy for my kids, and my three year old likes the look of your one. She says she would sit in the middle, and her little brother can sit in the front (might help I showed her it and asked if she wanted one....)

She likes rowing our deflatable, but its way too big and we don't actually go anywhere. I'm keen to make a 'kids sized' dinghy, just for her that she could actually row buy herself. Attributes I'm after is suitable for 3-5 year olds to play in, quick for me to build, suitable bottom shape to allow playing on the lawn without damaging the boat, and, I might be dreaming on this one, but small enough to fit in the boot of the car would be a major bonus (thinking I might need a very small nesting one to achieve that attribute).

John B, I'd be interested in your thoughts on what works. I'm also thinking ahead for when my 1 year old is big enough to play in his own boat too, its likely his sister wont want to share...