Taranaki>Malborough sounds

How long would this roughly take and is it a possible option with enough experience and a clear weather window?

i know what the seas here can be like esp when approching the strait but a B line straight down to some sheltered spots in the sounds seems fairly do-able

now...is it do-able in a large 20+ trailer sailer?

cheers

It's about 70 odd miles from whanganui river mouth to the sounds. So at 5 knots, say 15 odd hours. Its certainly doable in a large trailer yacht. But not always, and only with a good forecast and after checking actual conditions match the forecasts. Check the weather at the brothers. Once inside the sounds you'll be fine, get a copy of the cruising guide. I did that and more on a Noelex 30...

Off SH3, off Taupo Quay, off Heads Road, Wharf Street, dual concrete, tidal access to Whanganui river, good parking, no facilities. High tide is best, unusable at low.

Or tow the boat down to Mana, only 20 miles across the strait from there!

If you are at Hawera, then wouldn't it be just as easy to drive down to Mana?
Important question! When you say Sounds, are you referring to Queen Charlotte, or closest Landfall, which would be Pelorus or d'Urville Island. There is actually a big difference. QC takes you closer to Cook Strait. But it is important to understand that you are still actually a long way away from the Straight. Pelorus takes you even further away and out in some fairly clear of Straits weather waters. Although leaving from Mana does put you closer and it can be on a closer angle to Westerly quarter winds. Where as NP or Whanganui has a Westerly closer to beam/aft quarter.
You can also easily head across to Able Tasman from NP and Wh and remember we all have a beach over there that needs monitoring to ensure it is being well looked after by those peasants we call Trampers. ;-)

why do a 3 hour drive to mana when you could be sailing?
haha

no i would intend on heading straight for the closest point- bays around northern d'urville then hop around from there until its clear sailing back up to taranaki.

if wanganui is river entrance/exit for launching does that mean patea is viable or opunake?

its always going to be an issue of swells and surf really.

It's not just the sailing - it is the launch/retrieval location as well. You want to go, sure. You want to come back? I can be a long wait for suitable conditions, and, Wanganui, for example, can have river bar entrance conditions that make the bar untenable even when it is "calm" at sea. If leaving there, you can go down and have a look before deciding to leave. Returning, not so much. You do not want to feel any pressure to cross this bar, it can often be dangerous, and has claimed lives. If it is unsuitable for entry once you get there, it is a LONG sail back to any safe spot. 

Mana has an all weather ramp. inside the marina, and while the Mana bar can be difficult occasionally, it is only occasionally, and there is a club mooring in the lee of Mana Island where you can wait. Call the Mana Cruising club by ph or VHF if you are unsure.

Strait crossings from Mana are almost always on one tack - and a reach, although sometimes a tight reach or on the wind. It is very unusual not to be able to make Cape Koamaru at the entrance to Queen Charlotte Sound on one tack from Mana. The WInd in the Strait is normally SE or NW, due to the geography. There can be more W in it as you go further W, when in the N sector. It can be VERY strong in this area! If you can see a black line of cloud approaching from the south in N conditions, DONT GO. See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vc5hr8NzGXs

The Brothers now casting will give you a good idea of the conditions for this trip. I've done it many, many times. My first ones were in an Alan Wright Pacer - 24 ft Trailer yacht.

It's a long way from New Plymouth to Port Hardy on D'Urville - a 24 hour sail in most trailer yachts. It can be a great sail down to there, but getting back is pretty likely to be on the wind.

About half the distance from Patea, there is a ramp Off SH3, off Egmont Street, off Beach Road, off Turi Street, there is a single tidal concrete ramp leading into the Patea river, with good parking, no facilities, Motor Camp nearby.

But I've never used it, and know nothing about the conditions at the river mouth.

Excellent info IT.

The Brothers now casting will give you a good idea of the conditions for this trip. I've done it many, many times. My first ones were in an Alan Wright Pacer - 24 ft Trailer yacht.

This area is possibly the only place in NZ where you can get a real good indication of weather in what is coming and what is going by listening to the Brothers info and the Maritime Weather info of Barometric pressure. Because Southerlies roll right along the East Coast, you can get plenty of warning of what is coming and when and where the front is, or if it has now past and heading further away. The Sea's in the Strait and each side of it change rapidly. You can easily get into trouble under estimating what is coming, and easily have a great sail across by just waiting hrs or a day. And adding to that, the wind can blowing through the Strait can become the strongest just each side of it, not right smack in the middle of it. Although that has no bearing of the size of seas that can be generated in there.
Oh and to add to IT, if coming out of Mana and lining up Komaru, you will likely go right over Cook Rock. It can be a washing machine over that even on a good day. But it is a very small area, so you get out of it fairly quickly too.

patea is likely to be as dangerous as wanganui to be honest, exact same set up but narrower and river flows a bit more stronger

thanks for all this info guys, im looking at trailer sailers but one that can do good trips( not true open sea conditions obviously, more bay hoping like the strait or mercs) and thought maybe it was a possibility that a summers break down south may be easier with my new location but alas.

would still be keen to try mana or keep an ear out for anyone who does use wanganui or the surrounding area to sail.

would a 20-25ft do the job for larger day trips or larger?

also does the cruising guide contain much info about the western flank of the north island?

Remember that Cook Strait, despite it's width, is restricted from even commercial launch master operators taking passengers across without a special endorsement. It is not your average "day trip".

The whole west coast is pretty difficult for "day trips" - nowhere really to go except inside the larger harbours.

A 25ft trailer yacht is MUCH more capable than a 20Ft one, although that can depend on the actual design.

Perhaps another thing to think of is to keep the boat on the hard at Mana, rigged up, ready to go. There are (were?) pliantly of trailer parks available, also at Plimmerton Yacht Club. Both clubs run trailer yacht fleet crossings of the strait a few times a year - maybe you should consider that? Keeping the boat rigged makes it all much easier - just provision, launch, and away you go...

Sorry, but day sailing from you r location is tuff....

If your heading for Port Hardy give Stephens Island and Stephens passage plenty of sea room the currents through there can be nasty,Last time I delivered a yacht from New Plymouth to Nelson it was 25 hours at 5 knots so its not too far.

If your heading for Port Hardy give Stephens Island and Stephens passage plenty of sea room the currents through there can be nasty,Last time I delivered a yacht from New Plymouth to Nelson it was 25 hours at 5 knots so its not too far.

how big was the boat? what line did you take or was it a B line from the cape or did you veer down the coast more?

just tow it to Auckland to go sailing for your holidays. 5 hours going to windward at 90 km/h and you have the best cruising area in NZ at your disposal, or join the waikato cruising squadron? and keep it in the compound at Clevedon.

Boat was 37 feet and it was a direct run to Nelson so was well away fron Stephens,I was up at Port Hardy about a month ago for a family cruise and have spent a fair amount of time spearfishing around the top of Durville,and have a great respect for the current and overfalls up there,Great spot though,Anchoring in the sounds can be a pita with strong winds funneling down if I was spending time their I would join the Mana or Pelorus yacht club and use their moorings you will sleep better.I spend my time over the Abel Tasman a much nicer spot.

The trouble with Wanganui is as much related to river conditions as sea conditions. Following heavy rainfall there can be big standing waves at the entrance. Not a big deal leaving since you can pick your day but be wary entering the Wanganui Moles after heavy rainfalls. The positives are that after a big flood the seabed there gets smoothed out easing the waves encountered over the bar when you give it a few days. 

I would make a crossing to Port Hardy on the NW side of Durville. It has a very big sheltered harbour. In WW2 the Japanese fleet sunk in the Battle of Coral Sea was reputed to be headed for Port Hardy after it had been scouted for suitability by a Japanese submarine.