Cruising and NZ Super

IT and I have been trying to nail an answer to this (so far unsuccessfully). What is a NZ citizen over 65 entitled to if they are living on a NZ registered sail boat and drifting aimlessly about the planet?

Is a NZ reg boat qualify you as resident and present since the boat is considered a piece of NZ?

Has anyone dealt with this before ??

I know of one person who has been offshore cruising now for 7 yrs collecting his super. I understand the important distinction is that his yacht is his registered home, he does not have any property in NZ, or anywhere else.

BP, just take the paperwork down to WINS. The MAY in that link is because there are other factors (time working in NZ etc) involved, but it is certainly not a "NO".

It used to be NO if more than 6 months, before the Superannuation Amendment Act  2009 was passed....

Personally, I wouldn't tell them a thing.

Keep a NZ mail address and a phone number and they'll never know.

Once you alert them to your plans, you're on their radar and they know you've informed yourself of the rules.

If, and its a big if, they catch you, your interpretation is that you are on a NZ registered vessel therefore you haven't left the NZ. They'll have to prove you wrong and there is no glamour prosecuting superannuates

If, and its a big if, they catch you, your interpretation is that you are on a NZ registered vessel therefore you haven't left the NZ. They'll have to prove you wrong and there is no glamour prosecuting superannuates

Don't you believe it. They're prosecuting a supernnuatant friend of mine for not declaring he was receiving money from his mums estate, about $10k a year. Because He doesn't have the money to fight it They'll be cutting his super until it is paid back.

I think it's better to be completely honest. I've read the super act, and I believe that it covers this situation quite clearly. They are obliged by law to pay you while cruising, provided you would be entitled if living in Nz.

If you have a NZ domiciled address, and a NZ Bank account how in the heck are they going to know?

Do you really think they are going to start sending out hit squads to catch out oldies that are sailing off blue and yonder and collecting their pension (that they darn well have earned the right to receive in my opinion).

As someone said earlier - say nothing.

How do you think the Govt are catching fine dodgers, child pinching parents, escaped prisoners and more at the border?  Data matching.

Correct, but I hardly think pensioners knowingly going sailing offshore for >26 weeks is a problem that's targeted.

I apologise for the thread drift.

I only recently became aware of the travel restrictions with regard to your super payments. I can sort of understand the pension but surely the super is your own. Even a pension shouldn't have restrictions. When we go I was expecting it to be sortable when you supply a B5/U4 certified by a notary public in blue ink on red paper by the light of the moon and at least 3 planets. 3 months in advance.

Don't you believe it. They're prosecuting a supernnuatant friend of mine for not declaring he was receiving money from his mums estate, about $10k a year. Because He doesn't have the money to fight it They'll be cutting his super until it is paid back.

I thought the Super is not means tested.

I know of a good number that get it and are earning 100k+ a year working.

If you were on a benefit when going onto the super you need to declare that.

Or is it tax related?

The money from his mum's estate - could it be classed as a gift?