who thinks a little Alan Wright variant twin keeler would fit on a flat dack car trailer.

Guest shane

Would be a great way to ruin the car trailer.... Would it sit on there nicely? If you chocked it well. But getting the trailer far enough down a slip would be impossible. What does it draw? 800mm? The trailer deck might be 400mm... Thats 1.2 meters of water and a tow vehicle well full of water.

i suspect when Shane says a flat deck car trailer

he means a flat deck car trailer

made for moving cars...............

if so problems could be 

- flooding the indicator, brake wiring with salt water

- not having, but needing, a long draw bar so the towing vehicle doesn't have to go in the water

- flooding any tilt hydraulics in salt water

any idea of the weight of the boat Shane?

Damage to the trailer should be an issue if you jet wash afterwards. Electrics are simple on these things so either take off beforehand or clean and dry after.

No jet washer will get into the insides of the RHS that most trailers are made out of. Remember that to hot dip a trailer frame, holes are drilled or cut to allow the process to coat both the outside and the inside of the RHS and the outside. The salt water would flood in just fine, but good luck getting it washed out through a 10mm hole or similar.

Also, consider the wheel bearings, brakes, suspension, and if fitted control systems, hydraulics etc. No way can you get them all pressure washed as the salt water will have reached places inaccessable to a water jet.

Anyone who put my tandem trailer in the water would have just agreed to purchase it from me as they got it wet. Remember that a good sized tandem trailer with brakes etc can easily cost over $10K. 

Get it lifted out by a travel lift and put it onto the trailer that way. I've seen a Variant on a car trailer before but I'm not 100% certain that it would meet the trailer width regulations?

Also the mast will have to come down, and remember the Variant is not designed as a trailer-sailer so a bit more effort is needed to achieve this.

No jet washer will get into the insides of the RHS that most trailers are made out of. Remember that to hot dip a trailer frame, holes are drilled or cut to allow the process to coat both the outside and the inside of the RHS and the outside. The salt water would flood in just fine, but good luck getting it washed out through a 10mm hole or similar.

Also, consider the wheel bearings, brakes, suspension, and if fitted control systems, hydraulics etc. No way can you get them all pressure washed as the salt water will have reached places inaccessable to a water jet.

Anyone who put my tandem trailer in the water would have just agreed to purchase it from me as they got it wet. Remember that a good sized tandem trailer with brakes etc can easily cost over $10K. 

Quick trip to a lake or River and dunk in fresh water it is the best way!