If you own a boat and you're not a Coastguard member

Help Coastguard Northern Region understand why boaties choose not to become members, by taking part in a short focus group or phone call this Thursday 21 July.
If you own a yacht, launch or trailer boat, you're NOT a Coastguard member, and you're happy to take part in a short focus group in Auckland or a phone call, we're interested in hearing your opinions – plus there’s complimentary craft beer tasting for all participants!
Location: Marine Rescue Centre, Mechanics Bay, Auckland – or phone call
Date/Time: Thursday 21 July, 6pm-7pm
Interested? Message us with your contact details or contact Zoe at zoe.hawkins@coastguard.org.nz, and we'll be in touch!

Coastguard Northern Region Maritime School. Leading provider of recreational boating education. VHF Operator, Day Skipper, Boatmaster, RYA Practical courses and more. www.coastguard.org.nz Ph 303 4303

Guest shane

You make people pay $280 a hr. Then say don't ring us when you need help we won't help you never again and get really not nice on the phone two the person. because the person offered two pay it off at $5 a week that's all the person have. Coast guard really ???? Should be there two help people in need at sea.

Here's an idea, in regards to both Shanes comment, and the Takapuna beach "hostile takeover" in another thread.

Instead of paying a not insignificant sum each year as a YNZ "Voluntary Levy" why don't clubs pay slightly less to the "Great view out the window but nothing for boaties" bunch, and give the difference to Coastguard?

They deserve it a lot more than the other mob, and get no government funding. Plus they are there for all boaties, not just the olympic wannabes.

Actually, I'm pretty sure even the Waka ama and Sea kayak groups would be willing. 

cheap insurance being a member $115 per yr,can use my membership on my boat or your boat and do not have be the skipper or owner to get assitance.been a member for 3yrs and used them for a tow 2 months ago,brilliant service.

if i recall properly back in the early days of coastguard,1970s?,use to private vessels used by volunteers and yip you would shudder when they turned up as few had no idea on towing but now days c/g vessel and volunteer crews with the proper training great service,well it was for me.constant communication through out the tow and what the plan was when we got to mooring.

In Shane's case yeah feel sorry for you but that's joy of owning a boat.A) do not go out in conditions you cannot handle.  B)make sure vessel is to scratch,everything working properly.  C)These guys/girls are prepared to go out in any conditions to save lives.

Yes may only be able to pay back $5.00 a week but with no fixed abode or visa card why should they be out of pocket and the rest of get a fee increase?

Yes maybe government funding required but the general public would scream about paying for a service that we get the benefit from.

• Upvote 1

I'm probably your classic non member

Sailed around North Island twice, NZ once, 3/4 of a circumnavigation over the last 35 years and a lot more as a yacht owner, never quite got around to joining but also have prided myself of never having needed to ask for assistance.

But have been a volunteer fire fighter for over 20 years and volunteered at yacht club even longer.

Maybe I'm just different

But now I've said this I should join as this has probably jinked me, but self sufficiency is a state of mind I believe

I never felt the need up in Auckland. I think the difference for most yachties is that we all have two means of motive power. And if the wind is not there, then most of the time, we are happy to just wait. If I were a power boat owner, I would not hesitate in paying the subscription.

Really sure wheels :) I can't wait two learn how two sail so I feel confident :)

You will. In fact I think you will find you can sail already. I taught myself. If I can learn, anyone can.

Simply start by going out on a nice day with a little bit of wind. Put the main up and play. When you do it wrong, the sail flaps. When you do it right, you move. Then it's just a case of working out where the best position is for some speed and direction of course. Sail shape and all the rest of the finer points are things you can learn as you go and get tips and advise and replies to questions. Never be afraid to ask. We have all been at the beginning and we have all had the same questions.

I have been a member but not at the moment.

In general, I think they provide a very valuable service, and lots of volunteer time, and this is to be applauded.

However, I have also noticed a trend towards authoritarian behaviour amongst some volunteers. The same behavioural traits can also be noticed when you give some volunteers a fluoro vest and ask them direct traffic at a fair, for example. Coupled with this can be a tendency to judge the actions of others in a condescending and or patronising manner. One must remember that, by and large, the skipper of the vessel in distress is still the skipper, and will most probably know the vessel and her characteristics far better than a crew coming to render assistance.

Also, there can at times be a bit of a cowboy attitude - I remember once, when I still had a TV, watching a reality show wherein a Coastguard unit responded to a serious situation - A head injury or a stroke onboard a yacht. In effecting the transfer of the injured crew member, a Coastguard volunteer leapt aboard the yacht and cut the port side life line - ostensibly to make the transfer simpler - this of course created a very dangerous situation and it was only minutes, maybe less, before a crew member grabbed the lifeline and ended up in the water between the two vessels.

In another incident I witnessed a tow line being cast to the foredeck, complete with a "heaving shackle" in the stainless eye.  It doesn't take a genius to realise that the shackle will at least damage something on the foredeck, or something far worse if the foredeck crew does't receive it quite right.

Couple these incidents with some others such as speeding within 50m of other vessels, and the odd near miss, and it makes one a little cautious.

I will, of course, become a member again when I move back to NZ, because I'm not so arrogant as to believe I may never need assistance, and I'm happy to help fund such a service that can and does help improve the actual safety of people on the water, but I won't be calling for help unless the water is up to my knees, or I can see the coast of Chile on the horizon.

So in summary, a great service run on minimal budgets, doing necessary work, including and very importantly, education, but at times a little more humility wouldn't go a miss...

R

Oh yes, I forgot to say that I'm not a member, but I do cough up whenever I see a charity drive for them, and/or the rescue chopper.

Like I said, I think it would be great if they got funding from yacht clubs, fishing clubs, etc,  And frankly would be quite happy to slip a little extra on my boat trailer rego to go their way.

I think the expertise various with the where the rescue boat is from. There are "crew" members on a couple now. Having a little sail boat handling knowledge helps dramatically. And there seems to be a lot more training being given as well.
I still laugh at watching a CG boat towing a little yacht at speeds the little things never knew existed.
I still have major concerns with their VHF response though. I think the volunteers need a lot of training on discussing emergency procedures over the VHF and this business of not following up on unclosed TR's is really concerning to me.
    Here is some thought i would like to hear comment on. I wonder if CG actually having a VHF network is really needed??? A fair bit of money could be saved here not having this service. That money could be put into the Rescue operation side. We have Maritime Radio and they are really good. I don't even give the idea of using CG two thoughts. Maritime Radio is far the best. So why not expand what they do. Bring the CG volunteers under Maritime Radio even. Because yes I understand that looking after the Gulf would be impossible under the current Maritime Radio Manning.
There becomes an issue whenever any form of service becomes fragmented and overlapping with other services. Especially in emergency situations. You end up with one hand not know where the other is at. And this becomes even more so when you have a Ch16 and then the CG channels. And remember, this is not JUST about the Gulf. But right around NZ. Ch16 does not cover the Sounds very well for instance. We have two local channels because of that. The number of times emergencies have operated under the noses of the other agency without them knowing anything is going on is really concerning. Our local Radio has always struggled with funding, just like all the others around the Country.
I used to work for Volunteer orgs and I know the huge number of resources that go into trying to raise resources. I often wondered if it was worth it. Having a network brought in under one roof makes a whole lot more sense to me in solving so many issues.

You make people pay $280 a hr. Then say don't ring us when you need help we won't help you never again and get really not nice on the phone two the person. because the person offered two pay it off at $5 a week that's all the person have. Coast guard really ???? Should be there two help people in need at sea.

Perhaps join the CG as a volunteer then you dont need to pay a subscription you will also get free training and time out at sea. And lets not forget you will learn how the CG operate. The CG here are not government funded like the police and what ever funding they do get is nothing. i cant remember the exact number but it is something like 95% (possibly more) of CG are volunteers who put themselves at risk to come out and provide assistance. They have to raise funds to pay for the boats and the running costs, the repairs, the wet weather gear, the life jackets, flares etc and I am sure you realise when owning a boat this is not cheap. So yes if you choose not to volunteer and hekp out then perhaps consider joing them by paying a fee, 5$ a week is $260 a year which is close to the joining fee. If you do not wish to join, then perhaps put that money in an account for when help is needed. 

Another thing is because CG are not government funded, but the police are, If the police call the CG to help the CG charge the police, which is why, they will probably ask you to call the police first. down here in Welly, the Police are not likely to take the lady round to Mana or kapiti so will call on them to provide assistance which is in one of the most dangerous stretches of water in the world. 

I used to volunteer for the CG and one of the problems where i was is that there is no young blood and the existing masters are all growing long in the tooth, unless they get more help, they could end up closing. 

sorry about the rant, but is is annoying when people complain about organisations that are there to help. there are always 2 sides to the story, take some time in trying to find out the other side and then make a decision. 

• Upvote 1
I am a member but a disgruntled one who thought of not renewing but I do support what they do.

As stated their Vision is: "Everybody safe on the water. .."

CG vision.png

It's an impossible vision as some people like the riskier side of water sports. Me included!

I don't like they way they are becoming politicised and that they sit on advisory boards and help steer policy to suit their Vision.

The reason we have to wear a life jacket in the Coromandel when rowing ashore from a boat or to boat is because they advised that it should be policy.

I took it up with CG at the time - 2013, Neil Murry CG Boating Edu.

Please, do what you do best "Saving lives at sea" and stay out of policy making.

I am a member but a disgruntled one who thought of not renewing but I do support what they do.

As stated their Vision is: "Everybody safe on the water. .."

It's an impossible vision as some people like the riskier side of water sports. Me included!
I don't like they way they are becoming politicised and that they sit on advisory boards and help steer policy to suit their Vision.

The reason we have to wear a life jacket in the Coromandel when rowing ashore from a boat or to boat is because they advised that it should be policy.
I took it up with CG at the time - 2013, Neil Murry CG Boating Edu.

Please, do what you do best "Saving lives at sea" and stay out of policy making.

Yes. I agree.

I've been a consistent member since 1983 myself and things are changing. We need to be careful and vigilant as boaties that entities like  Coastguard / DOC and the Police  / Navy don't turn into something like the  American or Australian coast guard. Homeland security mob. 

The signs are all out there.