If you own a boat and you're not a Coastguard member

sorry about the rant, but is is annoying when people complain about organisations that are there to help. there are always 2 sides to the story, take some time in trying to find out the other side and then make a decision.

I think you will find shane was talking about the rude and threatening reply he got from the person on the phone. Not that he had to pay. He tried to pay what he could afford. That person did not accept shanes offer and told shane they would never go to his aid again.

Now if that is true, That kind of threat is not on. And I would have a few things to say about that myself.  But I will not say anything because I can only go by what shane as said.

I am a Coastguard member, and currently reviewing my options. I think that they were a great organisation but have allowed themselves to become bogged down in ever increasing levels of beaurocracy and localised empire building.

I was an interested spectator once in an argument between Coastguard and the fire service as to whose pump was going to be used to extinguish a fire on a vessel anchored close by, and by the time the thing was resolved, passing boaties had dealt to the fire. This sort of thing happens a lot.

As a former master mariner I was invited to join our local Coastguard as a volunteer for the purposes of reviewing their operation. I recall questioning the use of an intermediate layer of personnel between radio operators and boat crew, believing this to be an impediment to the rapid dispatch of the vessel in emergency situations. I knew the whole thing was going nowhere when coastguards response was that they 'did it that way because they'd always done it that way.'

I agree with Wheels that the radio side of coastguards operation should be handed over to Maritime Radio, even if for no other reason that they are well trained in the use of the medium and you can therefore understand them - they speak slowly and clearly.

We often sail between Bay of Island's and Whangamata, and in doing so work through 6 different Coastguard regions. Why? Is there any behind the scenes handing over of information between regions when we pass through? I doubt it.

I think that each region should support and man it's own vessel but under the umbrella of a centralised command centre that will handle all radio comms and dispatch of appropiaste assets to incidents as required. I'm talking nationwide here, not just Auckland. That way the duty operations manager will know what's going on and we wont have a repeat of Whangamata, Tairua and Whitianga Coastguard boats all converging on the poor little fizz boat that had the misfortune to run out of petrol.

But I don't think I'll hold my breath waiting for local coastguards to surrender the operational control of their boats to a central entity, however beneficial to the boating public it may be...

C.G is too structured and bureaucratic.Seem to always be on the make for money.In short a modern day "Dad's Army" that appears over resourced.Not to say some of what they do is not worthwhile. A lot of their hierarchy are ex Police , Navy / Army and that possibly explains some of this. I fear the day they turn up to rescue me.seems they really lack people with recreational boating experience.( Marina based craft ).Lastly the constant babble of trip reports on VHF means switch off VHF.On our Coastal passages we don't listen.

I only became a member 2 years ago when I sold out to the dark side and went classic launching.

With only one motive power source it was a mandatory to me, when I had the flappy sail thingies as well I was never too worried.

And in two years I have used it once when some visitors kid basically went around and turned everything on in the middle of the night and killed house and start batteries at Oneroa with a rising Northerly. So I was pleased when they came and gave me a start...

With two modes of power I felt less vulnerable, possibly why a lot of sailors don't. A little more self reliant.

But not so much that you're willing to sign up and part with a few dollars to support that view?

Guilty as charged. 

I have to think about it. When I started sailing there was no Coast Guard, and people hardly ever needed help. Then I went away. When I came back there was this thing called Coast Guard. I guess I don't see it as indispensable, but if that's what they want to do go for it. But as someone else commented, stick to the knitting. I don't see CG as a group that should be having input into policy.

If I ever needed a tow I would probably call them and pay the fee without complaint. But at 52 years without a claim I'm way ahead by self insuring.

Just no strong feelings on the issue.

I have to think about it. When I started sailing there was no Coast Guard

https://www.coastguard.nz/about-us/our-history/

The first Coastguard presence in New Zealand

In October 1861, the first recorded report of a lifeboat being used appeared in the Lyttleton Times. The first official lifeboat was ordered by the Canterbury Provincial Secretary in June 1862 and two years later it arrived and was stationed at Timaru. It served off the Canterbury coast for 20 years.

The first permanent rescue service was established at Sumner in 1898 and the Sumner Lifeboat Institute is still saving lives over 100 years later, as Coastguard Sumner Lifeboat.

Over the years, further rescue organisations were established throughout the country, all independently run by committed local volunteers. The biggest of these is Coastguard Auckland, established in 1935 and currently comprised of over 170 volunteers

Old fart  ;-)

I'n not sure if I'm a Coastguard Auckland member or not, I think so. Definitely a Whitianga Coastguard member tho as i'm a lot more exposed there in my single engine fizzy.

I am a CG member, but mostly for when I am out fishing, on a fizz boat with one motor and no backup.

I have needed a tow once, when the ECU decided it was not longer computing things and telling other things when to squirt petrol or even more other things when to make a spark.

They came out, gave us a tow back ( a bit faster than I would have towed, but we were fine and they took us right to the slip.

I have never used them when sailing, never had to consider it ( but have towed about 12 other vessels back in ).

What I do know is that they have rescued people who are headed into quite a problem, possibly even a potentially fatal problem. They are, as KM said, on to a hiding as no one ever reports their daily good work.

Yes, there are problems, no doubt. Same with volunteer fire brigades. And as with the volunteer fire brigades, We still are better off with them. 

New Zealand Coastguard Federation (1976-1990)

The New Zealand Coastguard Federation was established in 1976, when a group of local sea rescue organisations formed a national body to give them a voice at a national level and assist with the ever present funding issues. The organisation grew to include 63 affiliated units, including Coastguard Air Patrols, stationed around New Zealand. In 1990 Royal Patronage was granted to the New Zealand Coastguard Federation and Prince Charles willingly accepted the role of Patron.

Did my first offshore passage in 1975, disappeared semi permanently in 1978. Like I say they weren't a big presence in my sailing life.

C.G is too structured and bureaucratic.Seem to always be on the make for money.In short a modern day "Dad's Army" that appears over resourced.Not to say some of what they do is not worthwhile. A lot of their hierarchy are ex Police , Navy / Army and that possibly explains some of this. I fear the day they turn up to rescue me.seems they really lack people with recreational boating experience.( Marina based craft ).Lastly the constant babble of trip reports on VHF means switch off VHF.On our Coastal passages we don't listen.

Trip reporting for me is quite a good thing when out with my lads,at least someone knows my last position and where heading too if it hits the fan.Agree with babble but I make it quick/simple and listen ch16,or off depending if making a long passage.

I think they do an awesome job. I don't have a problem with them lobbying for policy though like Clive I do disagree with some of the policy they've lobbied for. However if you read BP's post above, CG was formed as a national body to have a 'voice' at a national level - otherwise known as lobbying!

The one thing that does worry me is the level of bureaucratic 'partners' they have and the potential level of influence these 'partners' have on the sorts of policy that CG lobby's for. Civil servant bureaucracy is a real insidious scourge in this country.

However I think we have to also realise that with the changing face of our population in general comes the changing face of our boating population. I hate to think of some of the things these guys will see out there that never get reported.

I feel it is important we make a like dice and slice here. There are two parts to CG and our discussion...or maybe argument....In fact,maybe three parts. I don't think many of us will have anything negative to say about the CG guys out on the water. They are doing a fantastic for volunteers. In fact, often at the level of what you would expect of trained pro's. Trust me, I have seen the Police not do that much better job of some situations.
The part of the CG that I think we have the negative comments about is the "head shed" part and perhaps the VHF side. I know it is hard to separate, but I just wanted to say this because I know several guys and they work with a great deal of pride in trying to be as professional as they can and they would be saddened to hear some negative aspects if they felt they were included in the negativity.

I agree 100% Wheels.

I guess there should have been a bit of a question asked as to which part of the CG organization we are actually discussing here. 

The "Head Office"

The "Radio Room's"

The "Guys who go out in some really terrible conditions to try and rescue someone who is in distress, self inflicted or not"

When someone talks of the CG to me, I only ever think of the last group in that list - but I realize there are others. The VHF radio service I have never used and probably never will except to relay a Pan Pan at one point, and then to decide we were closer than anyone else so lets go and provide a bit of support. ( Turned out ok - one of my fishing friends jumped ship and with the extra experience and confidence we got them back to where they were comfortable again without intervention of the CG ).

The Head office I never even consider and to be honest, don't really know or see much of what they do there. I guess the various courses they run are all organized by the head office staff.

I am a member. I have been assisted. They were great to us, and (mostly) listened to what we wanted. While I don't agree with the policy setting influence, the guys on the water are something I will support as long as I have a boat.