Thanks all. I am overwhelmed by much I learnt in the last 24 hours over this forum! That's great! Now I think I feel the TS path is still tge way but definitely need to get madame happy so trained too!

Now I am a bit hesitant about the whole towing capacity... ok? Not ok? I will get a quote for a transmission cooler and see how it will go.

Meanwhile I will keep questioning the seller of the farr6000 to get a clearer picture if if it is a good option or not. Thanks all and please keep on feed with posts as I learn heaps!

Factory towing weight for Nz is 1800kg braked according to the AA. http://www.aa.co.nz/cars/maintenance/towing/towing-weights/subaru/

No problem towing a 20ft trailer boat. Should say 1800 kg on tow bar cert plate. If it doesn't, go to a tow bar place and talk with them - you can get a ticket fir exceeding the rating on the cert plate I believe. The weight of that far will be close to the 1400kg you mentioned before.

Trans coolers for these are a couple of hundred, and an hour to fit - it's pretty easy.

Agreed, but that is still ok....

I've never seen the authorities weigh a 20ft trailer boat, but it could happen I guess, and if you had an accident insurance could be an issue.

Most large trailer yachts behind big 4wds strictly speaking require an HT licence, but virtually no-one thinks of that, nor is it enforced that I have heard of.

Your call of course. I'd be happy with the forester and the Farr, but not much heavier than that, and that only with brakes.

Trailer yacht is the ultimate if you're looking for low cost sailing. When she's parked on your driveway during the week she costs you nothing!!

That F6000 in nelson looks pretty good. They will have better resale value than the young and sail upwind better than the young. Nice boats!!

Its well worth getting into some local racing for the family as this gets everyone used to sailing. 

When we started on the trailer yacht route the plan was to tow the boat with our camry Gracia, I ended up buying a petrol toyota surf for $ 1000 just to tow the boat as we were dipping the car in salt water when launching. As we are only 10 minutes from a ramp I got away with non registering or wofing it for years. 

We now have a 3 litre surf which is wife and kids plus boat car and works really well.

Make sure you crawl under your forester with a can of lanocote and spray everything before you start launching.

Good tip to avoid car corrosion... a trailer extension could also help I guess to avoid dipping the back car wheel in water?

Now I will quietly do my home work to try to axquire a decent farr 6000, and will try to get madame and I into learning proper sailing!

Thanks all for all this great learning.

Yes, trailer extensions are very helpful, basically required at some ramps.... I've got a webbing/cord loop setup on my trailer that allows us to use the winch to pull the boat off at shallow ramps too -- especially helpful if you've loaded all the beer in before launching!

I'd say the Farr6000 will be significantly easier to launch than our Bonito though.

I think you will be OK at Waikawa without an extension. From memory Kaiteriteri has a steep ramp so that should be ok, Rotoiti is quite steep too. Got your pm, will give you a call in the next evening or two.

Do you reckon it is something doable to fit brakes on a trailer which does not have any originally or too work so not worth it or simply impossible??

I was able to fit brakes to the trailer for my 25ft Gazelle.  The trailer was originally built using Trojan hubs, couplings etc. While it was a bit fiddly picking the right parts, it only took 1/2 a day or so to actually fit them.