Damienmumu

Trailer sailer for cruising Marlborough sounds

An important question. Do you intend to day sail only and spend the nights in a Motel, or do you intend to anchor in a bay, prepare meals, sleep aboard and stay out for a night or two?
When I first boated in the Sounds nearly 30yrs ago, I fell in love with the place. Every bay I saw was stunning and I would picture us anchoring at each one.
The big issue tends to be how much the wife is willing to give up and how adaptive she is at making it work. Some will make living in a box work, while a few wouldn't consider a 50ft Cruiser as comfortable.
    Ballast! hmm, here is another thing to consider. Trailer Sailors can be "interesting" to sail in the Sounds. You can easily scare the hell out of a new to sailing Family with a Trailer Sailor in the Sounds, so always pick the best of weather. But be aware that water ballast as good as a decent bit of keel and weight in that keel.
    Towing, is the Forrester Auto or Manual? Manual will tow 2000Kg no problem. Auto will struggle. You will need to fit an extra transmission oil cooler to the car. Not hard to do and essential if you want the trans to last. As IT said, braking is the major consideration. Trailer brakes are important on a smaller vehicle. If you are traveling from CHCH to the Sounds, then it will be essential. Blenheim to Sounds not so much of a worry. To remain legal, you have to be able to stop in the required braking distance.
   Choosing a Trailer Sailor can be harder than choosing a big Sailboat. A big one, you just look at condition and how comfy it looks. But a TS is hard, because there are so many and so many limiting factors to have to work around.
If it suits you, you can't go wrong with the little Jim Young IT suggested. The one I suggested would be great for cruising around the Sounds, but likely to be against you in all the other limiting factors, like towing etc.

All good points thank you!

Madame has accepted the idea of gettig a TS as she knows that is my dream. I am to relally find out how much she wilm enjoy though. Cinfort won't be an issue as she is not precious at all it is more the sailing experience which could be challenging. As I said, I give myself a couple of years to experiment and see if we decide to go the step further (mooring??) Or happy with a TS or stop (hopefully not!).

Yes I am quite wary that weather in the sounds could change fairly quickly and I am not planning (at least for a start) go very far but more enjoy around some bays during the day. Then yes I'd see ourselves anchoring overnight as as you said, Sounds are magical in these little bays... so would you advice to do the day skipper course at least to learn the basics of marine safety?

Towing would be really to the Sounds as there is already heaps to explore there and probably some trips to the lake St Arnaud.

From what I can gather the rego is on hold for the Young 6 as it is store at the yacht club in Dunedin. Owner told me it is kept under a tarp and photos are recent. For the trailer he has been very explicite just said it is in good condition... but boat seems really tidy!

My take also with this TS Young is that being light the trailer does not need to be as sophisticated so cheaper to maintain and repair and probably no need for brakes???do you agree???

Thanks!

Hi Damien?

I grew up sailing on trailer yachts in the sounds, a Noelex 25 to be precise. I still race a trailer yacht here now, more on the sport end though (which I towed with a WRX for a while). I'm a member of the Waikawa boating club, and on the sailing committee. I can arrange a ride on Tuesday's, also Thursday is the adult learn to sail night, doing both would help you learn fast, if time does not permit, maybe Thursday's to start. Tuesday's are hard to learn because of time pressure on the race.

I would think about this http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boats-marine/yachts/trailersailer/auction-1126287050.htm

There was a fully done up one for sale here about 6 months ago, new sails, new squabs (comfy foam and covers) new cabin lining, new carpet, new cooker, all new electrics incl re-wired, good motor, good trailer, new Windows, you get the idea... Was for sale for a few months starting at 16k, sold for 13.5k. I only say this to suggest you should be able to negotiate this one down a fair bit too. I think the Farr will be more seaworthy in the sounds than the young, also has more space to sleep 4, the fore peak of the young looks small for sleeping even children. The Farr has a big fore peak, and a double can be made in the saloon, or just use the two big singles. There is a reason the Farr's and Noelex's are so popular.

Anyway, if you want to meet, send me a PM.

We are even sailing today at 1pm if you want to come for a ride...

Also, the compound at Waikawa costs $103/month. Might be worth doing even just for a few months of summer. Does make using the boat much easier, and therefore you will much more often. I would also be looking at fibreglass boats with a strong preference.

Couldn't agree more with Matt. I've had mine in a compound and was using it almost weekly through summer. Just back it in and off. Plus you have somewhere secure to leave your vehicle when you overnight.

Hi Mattm, thank you so much for offering to help me learn. I think I will take on your offer! I will pm you my contact details... was also hoping in the car to come along with you at 1pm but caught up half way in garden clean up. Are you out every Thursday night. It seems to be the best day to learn indeed.

Herr is another link to another farr6000.

https://preview.trademe.co.nz/motors/trade-me-motors/boats-marine/yachts/trailersailer/1130679834

I feel you are converting me to the farr model even though I was keen on the young 6! It is true I only heard good things about the farr 6000 and as you say this is for a reason. Noelex 22 do not seem very roomy though?? Noelex 25are out of reach for me...

I have questioned both Farr seller on TM about the trailer condition. If the forester can tow this it may be the solution then. Cheers.

Recommend the Farr 6000. I owned one for three years. Fantastic little boats, great performance & plenty of room.

While they cost a bit more than some others this size, they do hold their value well so you'd likely get that money back. In fact I made money on mine. Seaworthy little boats. I had to sail mine up from Orakei to Westhaven in a 45+ knot storm when the ramp at Orakei proved too dangerous to pull out. Used double reefed main, storm jib, and we played the traveller continually so we kept the yacht moving fast to give good steerage way. No issues and while it wasn't pleasant, it didn't feel unsafe. Certainly no newbie should attempt to sail a TY in those conditions but its good to know with careful sailing a Farr can take it. 

The only trouble I had in three years was a broken centreboard wire, which can be hard to replace on land. You have to lower the board to replace the wire. Either use a car pit with some trailer rollers removed, or a small crane, either way it's hardly a major.