Damienmumu

Trailer sailer for cruising Marlborough sounds

I would recommend the noelex 22.

Possibly a bit cramped but big cockpit, and if you get the top off model then they're great for summer.

Small light rig and easy to handle on and off the water.

Will also carry full sail in ridiculous amounts of wind so safe if you get caught out.

The boat will weigh around 900kg ready to sail, with all normal sailing equipment. Many of the Farr 6 trailers were alloy rather than steel, so lighter and no rust or galvanising to worry about. So all up boat and trailer weight say 1200/1300kg? Plus your food & clothes etc. Happy to be corrected by anyone re weight? Another plus with the Farr is the pop top- the cabin top lifts about 30cm to give 1.8m ish of head room. They are quite roomy inside for their size, more so than the Noelex 22 I think.

As a kid we would holiday for a month in the Able Tasman over summer, family of four. Was great. There were about 30 or 40 other boats doing the same, mostly n25, or Farr 6 or 7.5's I don't think you would do it in the young. Another possibility would be the Bonito Aquarius 22. I don't know a lot about them but they seem popular for cruising. There are a few bonito's in Waikawa you could look at, and I think there's still an old Farr 6 in the back compound. There's also a N25 and a few others you could look at to get an idea of size etc. there was a young, but I think it's gone, same with the N22.

Check this out for the Farr6

http://farrtraileryachts.org/farr-6000/

Hi damien we are a trailer sailing/ racing family in Auckland. But originally from wellington. The sounds is a fantastic and beautiful area to cruise but get a boat which motors well as the winds can be in predictable. Tasman bay is also unreal in a trailer uaxht as there are loads of estuaries with white sand beaches to dry out in. In teems of boat I've owned a young 780 water ballested boat. She was cheap, light and roomy. A great first cruiser. The downside is they don't sail very well, but that's what you have a decent outboard for. We now have a ross 780 which in my opinion is the best compromise between performance and cruisability. The farr 6000 are also great boats and very solid. The best thing to do is jump in and buy something before summer and sail conservatively. Don't scare your family. Have fun

Interior space does not always equal comfort. here's an example...

I am 6'2" and spent several week-long sailing/camping trips in my Noelex 22, and friends of ours had a sabre 20.

We were often invited onto the Sabre as the friends thought it would be more comfortable, what with the bigger volume and all. Unfortunately, sitting on the nice comfy seats meant the wide side-deck/cabin corner was at neck height, so I couldn't relax. I had to sit bolt upright, and could not lean back at all. In the Noelex I could lounge on the seats, with my back against the wall, as the side-decks were only an inch or so.

If there was any upwind sailing, we would arrive first as well. On the rare occasion where the flotilla got caught out, it was reassuring to know that the boat could handle it with ease. One feature with the Noelex is the outboard is inboard, through a well in the floor. This means it doesn't lift out of the water in big waves.

The Young WB boats are tender in a breeze, especially when pushed. Several of them had the original centreboards replaced with ballasted ones, which transformed their performance in a blow. If the board is controlled by a handle through the floor, it's the original plate, if it has been changed there will likely be a pulley arrangement. that's the 6 and 6.7 models, I'm not sure of the other sizes.

The Bonito Aquarius 22 handles well and seem to carry their sail well, although the pinched in stern can lead to bad rolling downwind in a blow. They do look good tho! From memory, the outboard goes through the floor on these too.

I don't know anything about the Farr boats, but they have a good name, and I've not heard any bad things about them.

Our noelex weighed in at class minimum 726kg, and about 900kg empty on trailer. I towed it with a Mitsi Cordia turbo (I think the cops would have a field day with that now!) and later a  Hilux surf.

Thanks all guys again. it is really encouraging getting all these advices. I think the bonito 22 is out of the reach then... too heavy. Seem to be left with the farr 6000 clearly.

The one on TM at $9k looks great as long as well negociated and get reassurance that trailer is in ok condition could be good!

Yes i am aiming to get one before the end of winter hopefully!

Should you hear of any others around for sale would love to hear!

Thanks again

Looks good.

the NZTYA has a horsepower requirement of 1/4 hp per foot, so 4hp on a 16foot, 5hp on a 20, etc.

So may be a little small, but then again it is a 4 stroke, so may be ok.

It's on a braked trailer as well, although that looks like the tilt version, trailers heavier than the alloy ones....

The example Pics on the Farr 6000 website are really very good. The example boat looks well nigh immaculate :-)

I don't disagree Madyotttie, in fact, I would likely choose a n22 for myself, but for racing reasons than cruising - they are faster and have OK class racing. Still think the Farr is better for cruising. Agree on the layout effecting space also, the Farr has narrow side decks, so they don't cut in on head room, and at 6'6" I found the Farr ok, can also lay flat in the fore peak, which I though was amazing for a 6m boat, it doesn't always happen on a 10m boat.

I would say 8hp would be nice for cruising a f6 in the sounds, you will (almost) always get home. 4 is a bit small. My boat has a 5hp, it weighs less than a F6, and has less windage, there have been a few occasions where with all sails below deck we have been barely making head way. Although when that's happened, it's been 'quite' windy.

The boat in Nelson sure would be a good place to start.

Cordia Turbo - nice.