Let the whingeing begin

Yachting: Oracle set to shun US as hosts

12:09 PM Thursday Aug 19, 2010

The next America's Cup looks likely to be a multihull event.

Oracle is set to shun the United States and hold the next America's Cup in Europe.

It's understood there isn't the financial willpower in the US to stage the regatta with the State of California broke.

Commentator PJ Montgomery says Larry Ellison is also poised to announce the Cup will not be raced in monohulls.

He says we should know in the next couple of months that the America's Cup will be raced in multihulls in La Maddalena in Italy.

Montgomery says there could be a small revolution from challengers on Oracle's hands.

He says Team Origin has already indicated it is not interested in multihulls.

- NEWSTALK ZB

I'm new to the Multi forum so I have to watch my P's & Q's, but I disagree with one design. However a box rule would work wouldn't it? Just like for the races in February. This allows for innovation which is great for us ordinary mortals eventually. Let them decide on bicycle or tricycle. Also make sure the racing is going to be good to watch. Set a lower and upper wind limit so that no one gets bored watching them drift along in 2 knots of breeze but say for arguments sake have an upper limit of 25 knots. Whaddaya reckon?

At the TeamVodafoneSailing launch tonight I had a good chat to Harold Bennett about this very subject.

It looks like all those who decide are strongly in favour of multis, after consultation with teams, media, designers etc.

One of the interesting tidbits to come out was that they're looking to dictate the size of the prod, and that's it. Any size sails teams want to hoist, they're welcome to. It'll be interesting to see some of the more brave/stupid decisions made in this regard!

multis are, of course, the way to go. One deisgn is not. Sorry Matty, but the AC is sposed to have an element of design in it, so a box rule multi would be good.

Love the prod length but no sail area idea.

Apparently in Cats to keep the cost down.

And with Wing Masts allowed.

This just highlights to me how stupid it was to drop the multihull from the Olympics.

You will have Yachtings Premierre development event in Cats, and The Premieere One-design event (the Olympics) in ......... ?

3-4 years of pissing around for an hour or 2 of what's been of late some rather ho hum racing. If it wasn't for the 2 incredibly sexy vessels we got to look at last time the thing was a joke. Same people, same bollocks, same old shite.

Of course it will be multis without a doubt. oracle have proven they can't sail leaners and why would they give away the advantage of all the knowledge they have on multis over and above everyone else?

Scoop: the Cup in 2014 on 72 feet catas with wings!

Scoop.

BMW-Oracle Racing will announce it officially next Tuesday, but voilesetvoiliers.com is able to assert it to you from today: the defender of the next Cup of America cut between monohull and multihulls! The 34th edition will compete on 72 feet catamarans (22 metres) endowed with rigid wings, very certainly in 2014 in San Fransisco.

Besides the rigid wing, motors will be allowed to raise appendices, the crew should limit itself to a dozen and the objective is to attain 1,2 times wind speed to windward and 1,6 times offwind. From memory, USA 17, the 27-metre trimaran with its 72-metre wing, exceeded wind speed in certain conditions of more than three times in Valence last February.

In summary, catamarans in future should resemble big Extreme 40's but endowed with wings. Oracle has already bought two new X40's.

Spectacular benefits of Extreme 40 of Oracle with onboard cameras during tests mass media, at the end of July in Valence, influenced the future of the Cup.

The competitors rally In Carthagène, in the South of Spain, where this week the fourth stage of Audi MedCup is being run, are united a majority of the future competitors as Team New Zealand, Team Origin, Artemis, Synergy and All4One. Debates turn a lot around information which circulate bit by bit.

The Anglo-Saxon, however predominantly favourable to the monohull, receive news warily but confirm that they will participate in the 34th edition, even in catamaran. For Team New Zealand and Team Origin, it doesn't much matter the support, they will be present.

You obviously took the title of this thread to heart, Knotme. Lead mines are finished. And the specious match racing bleating has to go also. Lead draggers will just be sort of cute, quirky, vintage things soon. Nothing wrong with vintage yachts, important history and all that and I love them ... but you're not going to get many yachting recruits or interest by appealing to the small numbers enamoured to vintage designs. More power to Ellison and Coutts and co - they have got it absolutely right.

It's nothing to do with mono V's multis. Believe it or knot, some of us see yachts as yachts and aren't that anal or one eyed that the number of hulls makes the slightest difference. I see by the totally baseless assumptions you read into my post you aren't one of those CC ;)

I was just under the impression from all the talk they wanted to do something new, different and exciting. What they are proposing, if the above pans out to be true, has been done and done very very well already and more than once.

If they are brave enough to sail in wind this time the proposed event could be exciting but new and different? Time will tell I suppose.

I hope the 'the objective is to attain 1,2 times wind speed to windward and 1,6 times offwind' is a translation thing or in 12kts of wind the boats will be either the biggest pigs ever built in the history of boats or faster than the 3000hp V18 Offshore power boats at full throttle :lol:

the proposed event could be exciting but new and different? Time will tell I suppose.

mnn let me think... 70 ft long wing sail'd Cats... thats not new and exciting theres heaps around, have a look down in westhaven, they're on every second berth!

Knot Me, what would you do if you were Larry that would be new and different and exciting for non sailing spectators?

Also I think they meant, 1.2x and 1.6x windspeed rather than 1 to 2x, and 1 to 6x?

I think that Larry is a bloody legend if he does pull this off, AC in Multihulls, fucken awesome! :D

You one eyed multi dudes are funny yet surprisingly shallow.

If I was a died in the wool blinkered multi fan I think I would be a lot more careful in the way I write posts just in case I came across somewhat hypocritical.

I'm seeing a degree of - "We want to see state of the art winged multis racing.......but only if they have AC logos on their mains. The ones already doing that, which will be the very ones copied and enlarged for the AC, we don't really care about"

So you just want big boats that have more than one hull, luckily it looks like your desires will be fulfilled.

Wouldn't a 70+ foot winged multi only doing 1.2 or 1.6 times wind speed be called a pig? If that's all they are after I'm sure ETNZ can do it cheaply and win easily, just charter Vodaboat.

I was thinking they were suggesting 1 to 2 and 1 to 6 times wind speed, which I would be thinking would be more realistic than 1.2, 1.6, 12 or 16 times.

And well done Canada by the way, a very well sailed regatta. Now can I have your boat...pleasssseeee? It's gotta be faster than the multi I'm driving next week.

Archived