Olympic results

Guest Crew.orgy

Guest Crew.orgy

This link might be better,

http://www.sailing.org/2016-olympic-games.php?rgtaid=12379&evntid=31365&view=fleetevent&includeref=regattapageresults25775#results__12379

I dont know if it me but the classes raced at the olympics are all boring mono centreoarders for the youth .

How does a over thirty year old sailor, a keel boat sailor, or a cat sailor get to the olympics?

ISAF are alienating a big chunk of the sailing community.

Bit of a joke really...

Looks bad for the NZL finn, nacra, and not good for the laser.

470 teams lookin g ok and 49er to come.

Yachting New Zealand Media Release

11 AUG 2016

header-btm-new.jpg    

New Zealand’s 470 crews start well

_J2Y4214-01.jpeg

Both New Zealand 470 sailing crews have opened their Rio 2016 campaign with good results on a day that provided challenging and wide-ranging conditions.

Elsewhere, like many of the top sailors competing here in Rio today, the kiwis found the day demanding.  

Women’s 470

Jo Aleh and Polly Powrie took a race win and have 2nd overall in the Women’s 470 after two races on day one for the double-handed dinghy classes.

Leading for much of race one the kiwi pair were bumped to 6th in the late stages of the race, but rebounded to take a win in race two.

Aleh said they enjoyed the challenges that Rio threw at them today; “We like that sort of tricky racing, it should have been a better day really first race we had a bit of a stuff up but it was nice to finish off with a good race and know that we can put it all together.”

“We’re happy with the day, but we’ve still got a long way to go.”

Powrie added, “We didn’t follow through with our race plan as such, and we’re happy to right the wrongs in the second one.”

Only the Japanese crew had a better day than Aleh and Powrie and are two points out in front, while Slovenia is lying 3rd at the end of day one.  They race again tomorrow with another two races scheduled to start at 1pm in Rio.

Men’s 470

Paul Snow-Hansen and Daniel Willcox also made a solid start in the Men’s 470 event opening the regatta with a 2nd place.

In race two they placed 10th and among a group of four nations all holding 12 points effectively lying 3rd equal while Croatia leads and Australia is 2nd.

“Today was pretty tough conditions out there so to come away with two solid races is a good benchmark to start from so we’re really happy with the day and look forward to the week to come,” said Dan Willcox after coming ashore.

Paul Snow-Hansen described the day, “You had to have your eyes out the boat, there were crazy rain showers coming through the course. A few snakes and ladders, so we took a bit of a hit now and then, but also gained so we’ll take that for the first day.”

Laser

The next best placed of the NZL Sailing Team is Laser sailor Sam Meech who has 7th place after three days of racing.

Lying 3rd going into today the first-time Olympian said he was disappointed with his performance. He placed 14th and 17th in his two races and now has a rest day scheduled.

Meech said, “Yesterday was really good I felt like I got good starts and executed my plan, but today was disappointing. It was the kind of conditions where I felt like I could go really well and I just didn’t get it right.”

Still well inside the top ten a closer look at the leader board shows that Meech is closely bunched close on points with the sailors just ahead of him, and with another four qualifying races to go there is plenty of opportunity to regain ground.

Nacra 17

The first day of Olympic racing in the Nacra 17 mixed multihull was scheduled on the spectator friendly Pao course. Notoriously patchy, due to being situated in the lee of Sugarloaf in the south westerly conditions, today was extremely tough for sailors and the race committee.

The New Zealand crew of Gemma Jones and Jason Saunders came through race one with a 9th place, then placed 15th in race two, which sees them lying 13th overall.

Three races were scheduled but only two were possible today. The Nacra fleet will be back racing tomorrow.

Finn

Josh Junior was unable to gain much ground up the Finn leader board on day of competition in the heavy-weight single-handed men’s class.

Two 14ths from two races today have Junior placed 20th overall, and he will be looking to turn things around when he returns to the bay tomorrow for two more races.

NZL Sailing Team current standings

2ndJo Aleh and Polly Powrie (Women’s 470) (6, 1)

3rdPaul Snow-Hansen and Daniel Willcox (Men’s 470) (2, 10)

7thSam Meech (Laser) (19, 3, 5, 6, 14, 17)

13thGemma Jones and Jason Saunders (Nacra 17) (9, 15)

20thJosh Junior (Finn) (18, 24UFD, 14, 14)

Full results are available on the Rio 2016 website: https://www.rio2016.com/en/schedule-and-results

On tomorrow’s schedule;

Jo Aleh and Polly Powrie – W470 – Races 3 & 4

Paul Snow-Hansen and Dan Willcox – M470 – Races 3 & 4

Gemma Jones and Jason Saunders – Nacra 17 – Races 3, 4 & 5

Josh Junior – Finn – Races 5 & 6

Yet to start;

Peter Burling and Blair Tuke (49er)

Alex Maloney and Molly Meech (49erFX)

NZL Sailing Team Rio 2016 Media Guide here http://www.yachtingnz.org.nz/racing/olympic/2016-olympic-sailing-team

In total, 380 sailors from 66 nations will race in 274 boats across ten Olympic Events across seven racing areas in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.

For more information:

Jodie Bakewell-White

Email: jodie@yachtingnz.org.nz

Some great results so far, pity we can't watch any because of SkyTV. Looks like some great racing.

I think the classes are perfect for the Olympics -- although they should also bring the Star class back IMO.

Guest Crew.orgy

Some great results so far, pity we can't watch any because of SkyTV. Looks like some great racing.

I think the classes are perfect for the Olympics -- although they should also bring the Star class back IMO.

So they are not perfect then?

They need a senior OD class like the etchell, a cat... maybe a foiling A?. And a keelboat with more than four crew.

The olympics is generally a young person event. There is nothing stopping an old codger qualifying in any class (or sport for that matter) but they just don't want to put in the grind or lose the physical edge or both.

Competition at the Olympics is between the best athletes in their chosen sports. Younger sailors are stronger and fitter and generally do better. I don't think sailing (and many other sports) should even be at the olympics, but if they have to be, 1 or 2 person boats that require physical effort is the way to go. Keelboat sailing? I don't think that is a good idea at all.

If  the olympics really meant something to kiwis the Government should step and buy the rights or say to sky free to air,like our national game rugby, I am not interested in the Commonwealth or Olympic sports, Oh he/she did well bet their personal best even though its 4 seconds off the world record. Look at the aging Mark Todd,only there because of who he is and past achievements,womens 7s,sour face bunch,anyone else would be happy to get a silver

Plenty of keelboat sailing in the past (Dragon Star Soling etc) but they were all pretty old stylie. The olympics have been a circus ever since it was professionalized. These days its just a junket for any sport that can get on the band wagon. No teams, and no sports that require equipment the (single) contestant can't carry would bring it back into orbit. I realize that would include tiddlywinks but that would be more engaging than golf.

header-top-new.jpg   Yachting New Zealand Media Release

12 AUG 2016

header-btm-new.jpg    

Kiwi Sailors relish the Rio breeze

160811_RIO2016_pm_20074.jpg

New Zealand’s Jo Aleh and Polly Powrie have returned a storming day in big, bold conditions outside Rio Bay to take the lead after day two in the Women’s 470 event.

Elsewhere Gemma Jones and Saunders sailed four good races today and have moved up to 4th overall after six races in the Nacra multihull, and Josh Junior found form.

Women’s 470

Firing on all cylinders after yesterday’s one-race disqualification decision the double-handed pair of Jo Aleh and Polly Powrie delivered another strong on-water performance on day two of competition for them, and it has paid dividends.

Sailing on the outer Niteroi course the women the fleet encountered big swells and wild conditions, but Aleh and Powrie enjoyed it and posted a 4th and a win. Now able to discard their worst score, they move to the top of the leader board.  

“It was a crazy day out there – the biggest contrast you could find from yesterday,” reported Jo Aleh.  

“Today the waves were as big as we can handle. It was pretty on edge for us even in the 470 – it was awesome sailing. We were getting airborne a few times and the boat does not land well.”

“Today wasn’t too much about boat speed it was just about hanging in there and not making too many mistakes - and keeping Polly on the wire.”

The kiwis have bumped overnight leaders Japan from the top spot, but only by two points, as the Japanese also sailed well today. Hannah Mills and Saskia Clark of the British Sailing Team are in 3rd place, three points adrift of 2nd.

The women’s 470 will sail two more races tomorrow ahead of a rest day.

Nacra 17

Gemma Jones and Jason Saunders righted their day one wrongs with four single-digit race results (7, 5, 4, 2) on day two in the Nacra mixed multihull. They take a massive jump up the standings to 4th overall, just one point off 3rd, ahead of their rest day tomorrow.

Jones, who helms the boat, said, “It was good, we were very relieved to come away with some solid results. It was four races in crazy winds, so it was a key day to just keep it together and we’re happy with how we finished it.”

The 20-boat Nacra fleet sailed today on the Ponte course inside the bay and up the harbour where conditions were different than outside in the big swells.

Saunders said, “The shifts were really big so it made for some pretty frustrating racing at times but there were plenty of opportunities out there, so it was good that we were able to stay confident and we made some good decisions.”

Jones and Saunders will be back on the water on Saturday for three more races.  

Men’s 470

Paul Snow-Hansen and Dan Willcox didn’t have the day they would have hoped for with a 20th and a 15th from their two races sailed in the survival conditions. After today they lie 11th overall and will be back on the water again tomorrow for two more races.

Finn

After two disappointing days NZL Sailing Team Finn sailor Josh Junior sailed well today coming away with two top race results from day three of competition in the men’s heavy-weight dinghy class.

5th in the first race of the day, then 3rd in the next he has improved his rank to 15th overall.

“I finally found the front today – far out!” said Junior.

“It was a really breezy day with bag waves out there. I managed to change a few things and finally got my boat going a bit faster and sailed a lot better, so I’m stoked.”

Asked what he hopes to achieve from here Junior said; “I’m just trying to get as much up the fleet as possible, race as many good races as possible and see what happens from there.”

NZL Sailing Team current standings

1stJo Aleh and Polly Powrie (Women’s 470) (21DSQ, 1, 4, 1)
11thPaul Snow-Hansen and Daniel Willcox (Men’s 470) (2, 10, 20, 15)
7thSam Meech (Laser) (19, 3, 5, 6, 14, 17)
4thGemma Jones and Jason Saunders (Nacra 17) (9, 15, 7, 5, 4, 2)
15thJosh Junior (Finn) (18, 24UFD, 14, 14, 5, 3)

Full results are available on the Rio 2016 website: https://www.rio2016.com/en/schedule-and-results

On tomorrow’s schedule;

Tomorrow sees the last of the sailing events get underway with the 49er and 49erFX classes featuring New Zealanders Peter Burling and Blair Tuke in the men’s, and Alex Maloney and Molly Meech in the women’s.

Jo Aleh and Polly Powrie races again, and so do Paul Snow-Hansen and Dan Willcox. The Laser fleet, including kiwi Sam Meech, return for more racing after a rest day.

Alex Maloney and Molly Meech – 49erFX – Races 1, 2 & 3
Peter Burling and Blair Tuke – 49er – Races 1, 2, & 3
Jo Aleh and Polly Powrie – W470 – Races 5 & 6
Paul Snow-Hansen and Dan Willcox – M470 – Races 5 & 6
Sam Meech – Laser – Races 7 & 8
Gemma Jones and Jason Saunders – Nacra 17 – Reserve day
Josh Junior – Finn – Reserve day

NZL Sailing Team Rio 2016 Media Guide here http://www.yachtingnz.org.nz/racing/olympic/2016-olympic-sailing-team

In total, 380 sailors from 66 nations will race in 274 boats across ten Olympic Events across seven racing areas in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.

For more information:

Jodie Bakewell-White
Email: jodie@yachtingnz.org.nz
Rio tel: 21973483812

• Upvote 1