Yacht rescue off Bay of Plenty.

Guest Crew.orgy

Auckland to Dunedin in the weather out there we have been having :wtf: . They are keen. Were keen. :roll:

Keen?.... organised madness!

1. Its cold

2. Mostly southerlies at this time

3. Small boat.

4. Easily trailable

5. What happened to that young fella bumming around in the gulf???... is this his new boat?

Keeps the rescue service active and justifiable i suppose.

There is nothing wrong with Sailing in Winter. As long as you are happy with the cold. Winter can bring some great sailing weather. But that hasn't been the case lately and a look at the forecast should have surely made that obvious to them.
But then, a steering failure may not have been due to the weather anyway. They may have been quite happy with the Weather and Sea conditions and the Boat and Crew may have been quite capable to handle it as well. We don't know at this stage. And we don't know where they were headed. 5 miles to Napier for instance, is more like, " missed it by that much" rather than anything else.

Apparently Paul had worked for the Marina Here at Gulf harbour. He did not know how to sail, and was intending to "motor" the boat to Dunedin.  :roll:  There are many experienced sailors around this area  who would have given him good advice. I have know idea if he asked anyone, and I don't personally know Paul. My info is second hand..

If this is correct it is a case of both an inexperienced skipper in boat unsuitable for the conditions encountered. The boat could probably have sailed to Dunedin ok in good weather, but this is not a trip to take lightly - after all, the 2nd half of the trip is south of 40 deg...  

Guest Crew.orgy

There is nothing wrong with Sailing in Winter. As long as you are happy with the cold. Winter can bring some great sailing weather. But that hasn't been the case lately and a look at the forecast should have surely made that obvious to them.

But then, a steering failure may not have been due to the weather anyway. They may have been quite happy with the Weather and Sea conditions and the Boat and Crew may have been quite capable to handle it as well. We don't know at this stage. And we don't know where they were headed. 5 miles to Napier for instance, is more like, " missed it by that much" rather than anything else.

Sailed that coast many time back in the day. I would rather battle warm gale north westerlies in summer than cold southerlies ( especially from the east quarter) in the winter.

I would rather battle warm gale north westerlies in summer than cold southerlies ( especially from the east quarter) in the winter.

You are not alone on that.

I suggest he was very lucky to have ended the journey where he did. In those conditions, if he thought the Sea was ugly there, it would have been a full on Freddy Krueger horror story by the time he reached East Cape and got himself over some of those banks.

The boat must be a solid little thing. There is not much damage and the surf must have given it a fair pounding. I would have expected some real damage laying up against that rock like that.

All sounds very odd.

Indeed it does. The whole thing makes no sense.

Crap weather, no genuine experienced crew on board, somehow the rudder lost its grip on reality, and then the electronics packed up. 

Or the battery went flat, so the AP and lights wouldn't work. And what's with leaving 200L diesel onboard but nothing in the tank??