Yacht missing around Gisbourne

JK

"Darius DeWett has to stay in port until he can satisfy maritime authorities that the boat has sufficient safety gear on board, and that the yachtie himself can sail the boat."

I wonder if sailing from Napier to Whakatane would be enough to show he can sail?

• Upvote 1

Nice one

"Whakatane Coastguard president Jim Williamson says today the boat does have a VHF radio but it was not working.

“He had battery problems, and you can't get stuff fixed around the coast because there isn't no place to fix it. He's done brilliantly. He's done everything right. He hasn't done anything wrong.”

Commenting on claims Darius has little sailing experience, Jim pointed out that Darius successfully sailed from Napier to Whakatane round East Cape in rough weather.

“He's got plenty of experience now,” says Jim.

“More experience than 80 per cent of the Auckland yachties now.”

Can someone clarify for me the relationship between the (volunteer) coastguard and Maritime NZ. Seems the latter are the ones throwing their legal weight around, but coastguard that actually took him off the boat.

Maritime NZ are the legislative body, and they do have the power.  CG would have been the means to get access to the yacht either by MNZ or Police acting on their behalf (think it said in the article that Police were there)

What a load of Bollocks. Does MNZ actually have this kind of power if the Yacht does not have to come under any Cat regs? what the hell is this Country coming too with all these flamin nanny rules and regs and safety and what have you.

• Upvote 1

Hmm... perhaps an enquiry to Coastguard regarding their policies in such matters would be in order.

On a completely unrelated note, I seem to recall some recent interest on their part in knowing why more people don't join.

What a load of Bollocks. Possibly - but I wouldn't trust the journos to be reporting this very well.  They clearly don't know what questions to ask.

Does MNZ actually have this kind of power if the Yacht does not have to come under any Cat regs?  Yes they do - since 1994.

what the hell is this Country coming too with all these flamin nanny rules and regs and safety and what have you.  well the Nats had been in since 1990 - and they weren't notorious for nanny state politics.  But gives you an idea of how long freedoms have been slowly eroding here.

Actually I don't have a problem with the MNZ being able to do this.  But why this guy whom the coastguard seem to think is more capable than either MNZ or the Herald want to suggest.  And why not the hundreds of muppets who go to sea in this country with no clue. Like I said - what are the "clear grounds" for doing this?  Why has the idiot reporter not asked this of MNZ?

Actually I don't have a problem with the MNZ being able to do this.  But why this guy whom the coastguard seem to think is more capable than either MNZ or the Herald want to suggest.  And why not the hundreds of muppets who go to sea in this country with no clue. Like I said - what are the "clear grounds" for doing this?  Why has the idiot reporter not asked this of MNZ?

We are talking the Herald here, a once very good News Paper, that now has articles like a spat on some NZ House Brides crapiola Reality TV shyte, as its lead story!  They've come a long way baby, and not a good way.

• Upvote 1

"Journalists" these days are often not worthy of the name. The problem is they get trained in postmodernist philosophy (the notion that there is no truth). Some journalists, like Paddy Gower for example, openly say they don't have time to find the truth and are happy to be entertainers pretending to be unbiased by being hard on "both sides". The other problem for the mainstream media is people are not prepared to pay for their crappy product and so "journalists" actually don't have the time to do journalism any more and we get infotainment. It's interesting to note the success of the alternative media where people are prepared to pay for good journalism.

• Upvote 1

Hmm... perhaps an enquiry to Coastguard regarding their policies in such matters would be in order.

On a completely unrelated note, I seem to recall some recent interest on their part in knowing why more people don't join.

CG was the transport, as someone else said, they don't have the authority but are helping out the body that does, 

Don't dump on CG for what isn't their issue 

CG was the transport, as someone else said, they don't have the authority but are helping out the body that does,

Don't dump on CG for what isn't their issue

So CG were only supplying the transport for the kidnapping then. Oh, that makes it alright.

I was only the get away driver, wasn't me robbing the bank.

Herald is desperate to sell papers that's why most front pages have stuff fuelling the housing debacle.

As for this story - they should leave the guy alone. He has done amazingly to make that trip around the feared East Cape and must have struck some reasonably big seas. It sounds like he possibly was under prepared but he has not requested help from anyone and will have learnt heaps from the experience. Back to basics sailing - I like it, reminds me of being warned not to leave Tutukaka in a strong NE many moons ago in a Stilletto also with little experience and no communications - we had a ball sliding down the waves all the way to Auckland.

These days we do have more"safety" gear but still believe in self reliance and generally never bother with trip reports.