JK

Yacht missing around Gisbourne

The Herald made sure they kept the beer bottle in the pic of him they used - obviously to reinforce the thrust of their story which is that he is an "irresponsible yahoo".

Hah, no, that is a non-alcoholic cola. Lots of sugar, but no alcohol  ;-)

I just thought he looks like a happy, fit and capable young man.

Major contrast to that French hitch hiker down south...

Hah, no, that is a non-alcoholic cola. Lots of sugar, but no alcohol  ;-)

I just thought he looks like a happy, fit and capable young man.

Major contrast to that French hitch hiker down south...

Hah new spectacles needed for me then!

The French hitch hiker guy was just being French I guess.

Some wise words from Jim Williamson, president of the Whakatane Coastguard.. Made me laugh actually!

http://m.sunlive.co.nz/news/136440-wayward-yachtie-grounded.html

I still think he has made some mistakes in saying he was going to call his mate everyday.. That's where the problem stems from.

I also think sailing to Auckland from Napier solo was hugely ambitious with almost no experience but he is obviously learning very fast and has my respect.

I think some support from the authorities may have been more appropriate than getting out the rule book. Lend him an Epirb and make sure he knows how to operate the radio I think would have done the trick.

"Darius DeWett has to stay in port until he can satisfy maritime authorities that the boat has sufficient safety gear on board, and that the yachtie himself can sail the boat."

I wonder if sailing from Napier to Whakatane would be enough to show he can sail?

Nice one

"Whakatane Coastguard president Jim Williamson says today the boat does have a VHF radio but it was not working.

“He had battery problems, and you can't get stuff fixed around the coast because there isn't no place to fix it. He's done brilliantly. He's done everything right. He hasn't done anything wrong.”

Commenting on claims Darius has little sailing experience, Jim pointed out that Darius successfully sailed from Napier to Whakatane round East Cape in rough weather.

“He's got plenty of experience now,” says Jim.

“More experience than 80 per cent of the Auckland yachties now.”