I am looking for suitable material for the front tramp on my GBE the old stuff has finally given up.And i now know you cant use the stuff from indoor cricket nets ,unless you also want to catch fish as well :(

I know D Deeds has the plastic coated stuff and Epsom and Tigre the poly/plastic woven stuff .Im keen for any info on who i can get the netting from . Thanks in advance

On cubic I have the black mesh fabric (45º) from doyles, its OK but seems to fade pretty quick even with a boat that I fresh water wash and cover on a trailer between sails - so I doubt it would last long out in the wild. They had some white welded plastic type mesh (90º) called 'white ferrari' that is apparantly much more durable but to me it seemed like it would be really slippery once wet (??) so I did not get it.

They had some white welded plastic type mesh (90º) called 'white ferrari' that is apparantly much more durable but to me it seemed like it would be really slippery once wet (??)

yep, i think thats what phil has on sundreamer. horrible stuff! especially when you really need a good foot hold during a kite drop

Might depend a bit on your use of the boat. Voom has farrari tramps (like sundreamer). They are great to walk on, lie on etc, and the girls love them. They apaprently last a long time too, whch they should, as they arn't cheap. The more open style netting is lighter, cheaper, drains water faster presumably and has more grip. Also easier to clip kite bags and dinghies to.

In summary (in my opinion only):

Cruising - go with ferrari

Racing - go with a more open style and follow Tims advice.

I think for a front tramp the farrari is too tightly woven i.e. it doesn't let the water out fast enough,

the Farrari is better suited to the main tramp.

the open dynex stuff stays nice and tight but lets the water straight out (especially important when sniffing).

It also gives better grip, also a good thing on the bow of a gbe!

I know where to get the same stuff as attitude's front tramp. The squares are about 30mm and the twine about 4mm. Not sure what it's made from I guess nylon or maybe polyester. I suggest you try to find the dynex stuff wolfie mentioned first though - lite, not much stretch and doesn't soak up water. Failing that - Casey 021 1765494.

Thanks for the info i have already been to Motueka Nets. The old stuff i already have is Poly ethelene 3 strand 25 sq which is the stuff i need ,called " polyestar 250 ply " The stuff i got from another net maker that is strechy and would be great for fishing !!!!!!! is Nylon 210 ply I suppose i can laugh the crew dam near got a wet arse coming in the cut in about 8 knts of wind.

I think i can give the Ferrari stuff a miss sounds to slippery, I was concerned the dynex was going to be too fine and maybe cut into your feet , but might be the best option so far

:)