dellboy

Mana to Golden Bay

Hello all

I am looking at taking an h28 from Mana over into Golden Bay around end of October.

Was thinking Mana -> D'Urville, hole up there for the night, then across Tasman bay to Pohara.

Anyone have any idea of the conditions going across to D'Urville, and a good spot to spend the night?

I hear we may be beating NW up to D'Urville, but that Tasman Bay is usually a nice sail.

Also, how long would the legs roughly take?

Cheers,

Nick

Hi Dellboy,

Probably best to look at slipping down the east side of Durville and through French Pass, but make sure you get the tide right for the pass. Nice place to stop is Catherine Cove, not to far from French Pass on the North side. Lots of club mornings in there. Once you are through French Pass and into Tasman Bay head across to Abel Tasman. Then the world is your oyster!

Tb

NW. ALL the time. More so closer to cook Strait. Use the Moorings in Catherine Cove, it can be very windy in there in a NW gale. You can go ashore to wilderness lodge, always used to be a good meal.

Use the main pass at French pass. Go at slack water or just after, with the tide with you. Stay in the centre, on the tongue of clear water, and take the bottom wave just off to one side from the v where the two waves meet. There can be strong whirlpools on the eddy lines. Perfectly safe, but be ready for sudden course changes in the turbulence after the waves! It's a cool place, and spectacular.

IT we definitely aren't doing typical weather in Welly at present, about two weeks with hardly a sniff of anything from the north, lots of light southerly (very nice crossing from Mana weather) and easterlies ( i didn't realise we even had wind from the east in wellington....)

However Windfinder is suggesting the return of the NW.... with the occasional bit from N or S

If you have the chance to pick your weather I would be looking at N or S to get across, next best option would be not too much NW

NW is still one tack from Mana :-)

The spring equinox approaches, you'll get those NWers back, I bet!

yep.... my home is open to the NW and sheltered from the S, I'm really not missing the NW at present