Happy Teeth the Leopard Seal

• Replies 767
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I wish it would eat the little handbag dog of one of idiots going on about how cute she is. That might change a few minds.   I saw a comment on one of the many facebook loveins about the ‘cute’ sea

I dont understand why shooting it is not an option. I'm not stirring, I just don't understand. Its not endangered, it is causing trouble and there is a risk it may injure humans.   And I'm glad to p

Still not really the point. You pay for the marina berth and included in that is security for your vessel and fittings. If some hoon had come down to your boat and destroyed your dinghy, you would ex

Posted Images

don't get me wrong Fish - if I was in a position of influence I would have had it removed long ago. I reckon its a menace but I suppose you gotta to be fair to the iddy biddy seal , one rubber clad diver/snorkeller, 16 years ago doesn't exactly set a pattern.

I'd still chase it away if I could.

Thanks Romany, I agree with the 'in a position of influence' bit whole heartedly.

I wouldn't look to this one incident as being pattern setting though. A single data point can't set a pattern. 

But if you consider both the normal habitat of Leopard Seals, and the historical absence of interaction between humans and Leopard seals, this single incident does carry a fundamental message, that humans in water in the same environment face a risk from Leopard seals.

How many people have gone snorkelling in Antartica? anyone on this forum? Anyone on this forum know of anyone who knows of anyone that has been snorkelling in Antartica?

I've got mates who worked down there for several winters, and family members that have visited, none went snorkelling...

But the people I know that enter the water around Westhaven and around Auckland in general is too numerous to count.

I'm seeing an increasing complacency from people around / toward this resident Leopard Seal. There is a real and ongoing risk that that wont end well.

don't get me wrong Fish - if I was in a position of influence I would have had it removed long ago. I reckon its a menace but I suppose you gotta to be fair to the iddy biddy seal , one rubber clad diver/snorkeller, 16 years ago doesn't exactly set a pattern.

I'd still chase it away if I could.

pretty much my position, its a menace,  be careful but dont be overly worried

The other double standard is public vs workers. If a marina staff member gets bitten by a known risk they have warned the public about, I wouldn't want to be a manager at Westhaven or the owners.

Exactly. It seems that employee safety is more important than customer / user safety in the NZ environment.

Agreed!

Which is logically topsy turvy as a customer is paying for a service with his/her money therefore legally should be entitled to be

safe  with that service.

Whereas an employee is getting paid for providing  said service and should be entitled to be safe, but not before paying customer.?

But then if employee/customer accept all known and unknown risks then I reckon all bets should be off.

Nanny state gets all tied up in reams of legislation to keep people safe, then humans in response go to more & more length to risk

their butts in extreme sports/ entertainment. WTF?

We have the wurst combination of ‘nanny state’ rules that are ineffective! If you’re going to have a rules-heavy government then at least get some benefit from it ie make sure it actually works and delivers something valuable (like genuinely enhanced safety). But don’t be in that crazy middle-ground with the hindrance of lots of rules which aren’t delivering any benefit. Either change the rules or ditch them and start again.