Knot Me... maybe

Happy Teeth the Leopard Seal

Good oh,

You have a point?

You have an aversion to colourful language, you've been afflicted with a severe case of political correctness? We should only use grey and conservative descriptors?

I can see this is going to be a completely unproductive thread. Mates already confirmed he doesn't actually read anything I say but still seems to know what I think... ignorance or something.

So I'll leave you guys to it and go sailing.

I am happy the leopard seal isn't causing issues and appears to be moderately docile. The news stories I had issue with was a month or two back and is well out of date (accept someone got bored and dragged it up again). Move on people, enjoy the steady sou'westers, have a good sail and don't drink too much at New Years :-)

The seal has made westhaven its home? The marina management have accepted the seal? So if the marina have accepted it surely they must have an obligation to provide safe passage to or from the marina or dinghy ramps.

Good oh,

You have a point?

You have an aversion to colourful language, you've been afflicted with a severe case of political correctness? We should only use grey and conservative descriptors?

I can see this is going to be a completely unproductive thread. Mates already confirmed he doesn't actually read anything I say but still seems to know what I think... ignorance or something.

So I'll leave you guys to it and go sailing.

I am happy the leopard seal isn't causing issues and appears to be moderately docile. The news stories I had issue with was a month or two back and is well out of date (accept someone got bored and dragged it up again). Move on people, enjoy the steady sou'westers, have a good sail and don't drink too much at New Years :-)

"colourful" is when you use crayons

Grow up son

The seal has made westhaven its home? The marina management have accepted the seal? So if the marina have accepted it surely they must have an obligation to provide safe passage to or from the marina or dinghy ramps.

Yes it appears to have made a pontoon near the eastern entrance its regular sleeping/sun bathing spot

The marina management are bound by the law of the land they have no jurisdiction over that seal or an orca or even a humble parore

They have no obligation to provide passage to your boat due to sealphobia, but they may if you ask nicely :)

Yes it appears to have made a pontoon near the eastern entrance its regular sleeping/sun bathing spot

The marina management are bound by the law of the land they have no jurisdiction over that seal or an orca or even a humble parore

They have no obligation to provide passage to your boat due to sealphobia, but they may if you ask nicely :)

Under health and safety they would as you are a paying client.

Its not that simple, the seal is a protected animal so unless there was a threat they cant do much except squirt it. They would have to get DOC or call the police or whoever is the right agency to handle it. I am not familiar with H&C regulations but i would imagine that compliance is ensuring that people are warned about the dangers and thats about it. 

Crew.org seems to be the place where the anti-seal rhetoric is focused, out in the real world people either laugh about it or get a thrill from seeing it. Was speaking to someone the other day whose dinghy had a love bite, his attitude was all about fixing it and the seal was just like a naughty 3 year old so better put things up high out of reach

Crew.org seems to be the place where the anti-seal rhetoric is focused, out in the real world people either laugh about it or get a thrill from seeing it. Was speaking to someone the other day whose dinghy had a love bite, his attitude was all about fixing it and the seal was just like a naughty 3 year old so better put things up high out of reach

My experience in the "real world" around the yacht clubs and amongst the boating community in the area it inhabits is that most people I talk to hate the thing and wish it would piss off.

Outside of the community that has to deal with the damage it's doing it's different. People have seen the warm fuzzy media coverage and have no idea of the damage it's doing/don't have to worry about a 400kg Apex predator eating their children as they walk around the marina seem to have a different perspective.

Crew being a boaties forum is of course more likely to align with the former, but the sentiments here are not limited to crew.

Its not that simple, the seal is a protected animal so unless there was a threat they cant do much except squirt it. They would have to get DOC or call the police or whoever is the right agency to handle it. I am not familiar with H&C regulations but i would imagine that compliance is ensuring that people are warned about the dangers and thats about it. 

Love bite? Like a friendly tickle from a 44 magnum, haha!