Knot Me... maybe

Happy Teeth the Leopard Seal

Left my dinghy in the water for one night after a late arrival to westhaven in the weekend and she shredded it...

According to some on this forum, if you were in the "real world" you'd be "laughing about it".  Perhaps the answer might be someone training it not to destroy people's valuable property.

According to some on this forum, if you were in the "real world" you'd be "laughing about it".  Perhaps the answer might be someone training it not to destroy people's valuable property.

You know what I mean which is shrugging it off and not getting bitter and twisted over it.

Still not really the point. You pay for the marina berth and included in that is security for your vessel and fittings. If some hoon had come

down to your boat and destroyed your dinghy, you would expect the marina to do something about it. DOC, as usual, with it's usual 'hands off' approach

should have done something right at the start. Marinas are not natural environments for seals. If the seal hauls out on a beach somewhere, great, and we

should all leave it alone. But it needs to be discouraged from marinas, or - DOC should compensate boat owners for the destruction

I do not think she cares what we think of as her natural environment from our point of view. She probably just figures any place where she can have a sleep and catch some food from time to time will be sufficient.

It is also natural for things to adapt as best they can to change, unfortunately not animals are as apt at adaptation as she appears to be. Point and case is just look at how difficult some of us are finding the adaptation to the change of a leopard seal becoming part of our environment.

Yesterday, I was filling my portside water tank in Westhaven, using my new curly hose from Bunnings, Think a 25-metre pig-tail, very tightly curled.

One section was dragging in the water so I flipped the hose to try to get it out.

Splash! No luck.

Tried again. Splash!

Tried a third time  ... and Happy Teeth lunged out from under my bow and snapped at the hose just as I finally got it out on the dock.

Once I changed my shorts, all was well. But that's as close as I want to get to the beast.

Guest 000

I do not think she cares what we think of as her natural environment from our point of view. She probably just figures any place where she can have a sleep and catch some food from time to time will be sufficient.

It is also natural for things to adapt as best they can to change, unfortunately not animals are as apt at adaptation as she appears to be. Point and case is just look at how difficult some of us are finding the adaptation to the change of a leopard seal becoming part of our environment.

As humans we are the dominant species and that means we get to make the rules. Hopefully this also means that we treat lesser species with respect but that doesnt mean allowing these lesser species to rule the environment and having their desires taking precedence over ours in spite of what DOC thinks. If you do think that animals have equal rights then stop swatting flies, killing ants and eating meat. Time for the seal to move along, or be moved along.