Knot Me... maybe

Happy Teeth the Leopard Seal

As humans we are the dominant species and that means we get to make the rules. Hopefully this also means that we treat lesser species with respect but that doesnt mean allowing these lesser species to rule the environment and having their desires taking precedence over ours in spite of what DOC thinks. If you do think that animals have equal rights then stop swatting flies, killing ants and eating meat. Time for the seal to move along, or be moved along.

I can only speak on behalf of myself but I stand in awe to most other species. Humans as a collective are quite successful at being predators but this has only been the case for a vanishingly short period of our existence.

At the individual level our brains are still those of prey not predators, hence the fear response whether rational or not to a true predator in proximity to you. I would expect to see indifference to another species in my proximity as the marker of dominance not the adrenaline fueled fight or flight response that the seal evokes.

Progress derived from following the scientific method is likely what makes you feel so confidant to make a claim of dominance. Yet the view that you hold is not supported by scientific reasoning. Your view whether you know it or not is founded in an antiquated view made up by philosophers during the dark ages about humans being central and the purpose of nature is to serve us.

There is no scientific basis for that rationalization and there never was. So if I should stop killing ants, swotting flies and eating meat (which I do not eat) am I now entitled to ask of you to stop using the internet, electricity and modern medicine?

If the above is a bit too much all you need to know is that we have very different views of what respect for another species means and that rationalization does not lead to progress.

I'm kind of struggling to see the correlation between ants, flies and meat and the usage of internet,electricity and medicine.

And I'm quite content in my dominance over other species because internet, electricity and medicine and every other advance and invention since the dawn of time has resulted from my ancestors, not the seal's. I think that puts us humans at the head of the queue.

Once upon a time our coastline was teeming with seals, we slaughtered most of them but now they are fighting back one dinghy at a time.....

They're gonna fight ya to the last inflatable !

I'm kind of struggling to see the correlation between ants, flies and meat and the usage of internet,electricity and medicine.

And I'm quite content in my dominance over other species because internet, electricity and medicine and every other advance and invention since the dawn of time has resulted from my ancestors, not the seal's. I think that puts us humans at the head of the queue.

Me too.

Its only the technology trappings of our forebears that allows us dominance in a one on one with an apex predator..

Without that, the jello inside from "x" years of imprinting would take over. Run away or be eaten.

What gets me is our guise of "fairness" in terms of our man manufactured "rights".

That we can exploit animals to extinction and feast on varying stages of their lifeforms with delight.

If aliens took over earth and farmed us equivalently we would be horrified.

Back to HT. 

I am surprised DOC is not using this example of disharmony of man vs wild life to study behaviour modification

on the species for future reference, with a non-injuring "surprise" unpleasant for HT on engagement with inflatable.

Hypothetical question.

What is the consensus of the safety and risk of going paddle boarding on an inflatable paddle board, if you knew happy teeth had taken up residence in the particular piece of sheltered estuary water you frequently paddle board in?

Of course while complying with the spirit and letter of the law for self isolation, being close to home, exercise only, carried out in isolation, without crossing paths with any other human etc etc.

Asking for a friend, of course.