Help - how much is this stuff worth?

Fellas,

I am having my inboard engine pulled out next week.

I intend to sell the engine, gearbox and electrical panel as one package. And I have a price in mind.

But how much is all the other stuff worth - such as prop-shaft, stuffing box, fixed three blade prop etc?  I'm getting all that stuff taken out too, and will sell off in another package, but haven't really got an idea what it is worth.  The engine and the stuff that goes with it is from year 2010.

What its worth and what you can sell it for are 2 different things, If you can find the person that is ready to buy what you have at new price and yours is as good as new then you will be able to sell at a fair price, If you want to know what it is worth in 7 days time then list it on trademe for $1 reserve. { probably not much}

I have 2 good as new sets of shafts and folding props myself, probably over 6k to replace, I listed them on TM for 700 a set with no interest at all, but for the right person it would be a bargain. Its all depends on how long  you want to wait for a sale.  Maybe a marine engine shop would sell on behalf?   That is where people are looking to buy what you are selling.

What its worth and what you can sell it for are 2 different things, If you can find the person that is ready to buy what you have at new price and yours is as good as new then you will be able to sell at a fair price, If you want to know what it is worth in 7 days time then list it on trademe for $1 reserve. { probably not much}

I have 2 good as new sets of shafts and folding props myself, probably over 6k to replace, I listed them on TM for 700 a set with no interest at all, but for the right person it would be a bargain. Its all depends on how long  you want to wait for a sale.  Maybe a marine engine shop would sell on behalf?   That is where people are looking to buy what you are selling.

Thanks TL. I've been told this shaft, prop and all the crap that goes with an inboard engine can add up to mouthwatering sum. I won't be putting it on a $1 reserve unless I am still trying to sell this gear a year from now. No rush to sell. Was just really looking for a guide price to give me a ballpark idea, but of course understand the old story something is only worth what someone is prepared to pay.

TL nailed it. It is all about having someone wanting it at the same time as you want to sell it. Summed by the need of the money, the ability to store and so on. It's not something that will have a great crowd in need. But for someone needing to buy and having to buy new, ot's a moth watering cost alright.

But as asked, Why?? What a great installation.

Partisan,

just curious, why changing out a 6 yr old installation? That is almost new compared to most boats.

At the risk of this becoming an Inboard Diesel v Outboard on small yachts thread, I will list off a few reasons off the top of my head in no particular order:

1) My ultimate aim with this boat is to have no holes below the waterline - obviously that can't be achieved with a raw water cooled inboard.

2) By having no thru-hulls the maintenance of said thru-hulls (which catastrophic failure can lead to disaster) becomes a non-issue - because I won't have any to maintain.

2) The diesel smell - I really don't like it.

3) My boat is a long keeler.  A decent tiller controlled outboard will give me more control singlehanded getting in and out of a marina berth.

4) My boat is essentially a GRP version of a Folkboat, a class of yacht which have successfully used outboard motors en masse.

5) I have little enthusiasm for maintenance and upkeep of something (the inboard) which I don't really want to have on my boat in the first place.  That could lead to lethargy in maintenance, or just "putting things off".  I am just not interested in the ins and out of how diesel inboards work - I know some people love 'em, and / or love to tinker. Not me.

6) I won't get the prop drag (I also intend to fill in the aperture).

7) No chance of getting rope or weed caught a prop - as there will be no prop.

.8 ) I will have more space for storage below.

9) If something goes wrong with the outboard, I just lift it off and take it the outboard mechanic shop.

10) As well as the "main" outboard engine, I will probably have a smaller one for a tender, and if the main one crapped out I could use the smaller one at a pinch, to get me home on a windless day.

There is 10 reasons so far.  I am sure someone could come up with 10 reasons to keep the inboard. All good. I realise it is a compromise. But each to their own.  Anyone looking for a good diesel engine and shaft, prop etc - bail me up before I stick it on TradeMe to all comers in a couple weeks.

• Upvote 1

Each to their own of course. I don't agree with some of what you say . One advantage of an inboard is that the prop is fwd of the rudder - so the prop wash goes over it allowing control at low speeds.

Properly installed modern through hulls need virtually no maintenance. Good luck with your sale.

Great to see the photos of the Contessa 26. Many memories, back in early 70's a bought hull and deck in Canada as they were produced in both England and Canada. Put it together and sailed the Great Lakes then a 3 year voyage down Eastern seaboard through Panama and ultimately back here. I started out with an outboard and changed to a 8hp Petter diesel as it became quickly apparent whilst in calm water it was ok the prop lifted out in any seaway and was next to useless in many entrances to harbours. We would not have seen many of the places we went with the outboard or been able to transit Panama. But each to his own. A great little yacht and its passage times were equal to much larger yachts that were following same route. The aft hung rudder allowed us to put a trim tab on it then thru a horizontal wind vane which could steer much better than me.

Great to see the photos of the Contessa 26. Many memories, back in early 70's a bought hull and deck in Canada as they were produced in both England and Canada. Put it together and sailed the Great Lakes then a 3 year voyage down Eastern seaboard through Panama and ultimately back here. I started out with an outboard and changed to a 8hp Petter diesel as it became quickly apparent whilst in calm water it was ok the prop lifted out in any seaway and was next to useless in many entrances to harbours. We would not have seen many of the places we went with the outboard or been able to transit Panama. But each to his own. A great little yacht and its passage times were equal to much larger yachts that were following same route. The aft hung rudder allowed us to put a trim tab on it then thru a horizontal wind vane which could steer much better than me.

I am hoping the ultra long 25" shaft will do the trick - I am sure it will pop out now and then still.

A sistership, BIKA (see pic) sailed from Norway to Tonga with a ratty old 4hp.  So, it can be done. I will have a much better bracket and much better outboard motor than them.

Sounds like you had a great adventure. Did you find the cockpit drains an issue, i.e water coming back up?

BikaContessa26outboardmount2.jpg

By the way, what happened to your Contessa 26 back here? She still in NZ?  Mine is a Canadian version too, bought by a Kiwi doctor working in Canada in the early 70's. I think he shipped it back here rather than sailed it, when he moved back with his family. He may have sailed it, but not really a boat to fit a family in.

Yep cockpit drains always an issue. If to many people boarded like customs etc we would have to kick half of them off as the cockpit rapidly filled. No problem at sea though make sure they are crossed so that leeward drain goes out the high side. We filled the cockpit with the hard pack life raft to cut down volume. I sold my Contessa here the last I knew it was up at Greenhithe. I thought the other one was sailed from Vancouver.