Vendee Globe 2016

I must say that I am pretty excited about following this race. So many different concepts in boat setup and some of them very untested. I would be suprised if the 24hr record doesnt get smashed this time as well as the total time RTW, that is if anyone actually finishes.

• Upvote 1

Me too. It will be very interesting with such set up variation. I like it that a few guys are in there for the adventure of it.

How many finish will be fascinating. I like to think that Conrad Colman is a definite finisher.

I'm going to make a prediction now, that a minimum of three sharks (or any other large marine animal such as sun fish) will be caught on the new dali foils this year.

Just looking at a pick of Edmond de Rothchild, those foils are ridiculous. Given the speeds those boats are achieving, it is absolutely beyond me how you could design one of those to survive an impact with an unidentified floating object.

http://www.vendeeglobe.org/en/news/15603/unfinished-business

Yeah, Fish, you're reading my mind! They are a great concept, and obviously fast, but they sure could cause a problem in a collision with anything near the surface. It will be interesting to follow this race.

Wish the best for Colman but I can't say I'm a fan of his boat, still if something can be got out of it then Colman may be one of the people who can get it out.  He won't be last.

My guess for winner is BP8 but it's easy to see 5 of the 6 new boats not making it so you'd have to think the lucky one from that group and maybe Vincent RIOU on PRB all have a shot.

Wish the best for Colman but I can't say I'm a fan of his boat, still if something can be got out of it then Colman may be one of the people who can get it out.  He won't be last.

My guess for winner is BP8 but it's easy to see 5 of the 6 new boats not making it so you'd have to think the lucky one from that group and maybe Vincent RIOU on PRB all have a shot.

Agreed. Rubbish boat, but I think he is playing the long game. Complete this one, don't get too embarrassed, then look for some bigger support for the next one.. It's all exposure and he's a determined bugger!

"Conrad Colman will start the Vendée Globe solo non stop round the world race Sunday safe in the knowledge that he will be able to share his incredible story with the outside world thanks to a very last minute sponsorship deal."

http://www.vendeeglobe.org/en/news/15713/white-knight-sponsor-helps-colman-tell-his-story

https://www.foresight.org/challenges/energy.html

I agree that the foliers look awesome but seriously fragile. 

I'm rooting for Alex Thompson on Hugo Boss, serious crap happens too him and he just keeps on trying totally weird stuff. His foils are totally different to the others.

Also awesome work by Conrad Coleman he gets some serious cred if and when he makes the finish.  

Really good dock walk video on sailing anarchy which is actually well worth the 56 minutes it goes on for.