Vendee Globe 2016

Another couple out in the last couple of days. Broken rig and collision with ufo causing structural damage. Sad to see, although it does bump Coleman into the top ten once he passes them.

Looks possible that nz may be asked to rescue Thomas ruyant - early reports from him post the ufo hit sound like his boat is pretty badly damaged and has all his gear on deck ready to bail if she goes down. Although that could be my misunderstanding googles translation of the French updates...

Poor bugger - the video on the vendee site is worth watching. The damage is just massive. He's very pissed and gets a bit emotional at the end.

Now 5 out of 29 that have hit something and had to retire. Most of the fleet is not yet half way. My premonition that this edition would be remembered for illustrating the plight of our oceans being full of sh*t is starting to come true - damn it.

Yep. And it's certainly not just the foilers that have been affected.

Must have been a massive crash, as he says in the video it's lucky the rig didn't come down at the same time. Hope the thing holds together long enough for him to get to nz.

Translation from Ruyant.

"

I lowered the mainsail. I turned on the engine. I remained a few hours hove to.

The damage at the front of the boat is deteriorating, the hull is opening up, the frames are coming unglued from everywhere.

I am heading to the South of New Zealand. I should be there in 2 days. I am not sure it is going to hold until then.

The good thing is that I am within helicopter range. It is comforting. I just need to push one button for someone to get me. The living quarters are not damaged. With the watertight doors, I can stay protected.

The hit was ultra-violent. I still shivers, just thinking about it... and talking about it.

I was sailing at 17-18 knots. And everything stopped. I think I hit a container. That's what torn apart the bottom of the hull. The front of the hull exploded. The hull buckled. Luckily I did not lose the mast. It was very, very violent.

I was sleeping in my bean bag. Thank god, I had my head deep into the bean bag. I ended up against the mast bulkhead. I found items against the mast bulkhead that were packed up at the rear of the boat; it flew forward over 10 meters...

A bit stressful. The good thing is that I am not too far from shore. But actually, that is also what could have caused it. I saw several cargos. I think I am on a maritime route between New Zealand and Australia. Knowing the sea conditions, there must be a few containers in the water. I think that's what I hit, considering the violence of the shock...

Here we are...

End of Vendee Globe...

Finished...

Half around the world....

I am so sad it ends up this way...

I had my lot of hardship... For sure I had a truck load of them...

But this one... this one... f*ck! I really wish this one to nobody...

"

• Upvote 2

Just raw

Here's an article on One News Now I thought you might be interested in.

'I can't imagine what he was going through' - Bluff coastguard shocked at state of French sailor's wrecked yacht

https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/new-zealand/cant-imagine-he-going-through-bluff-coastguard-shocked-state-french-sailors-wrecked-yacht

"... however the arrival in Fremantle was certainly no picnic as we had a string of administrative issues related to Australian protectionism'. In short, the customs officers were calling for the team to have work visas, which were impossible to provide in the timeframe allowed. ..."

http://www.vendeeglobe.org/en/news/17345/edmond-de-rothschild-on-her-way-home

"... however the arrival in Fremantle was certainly no picnic as we had a string of administrative issues related to Australian protectionism'. In short, the customs officers were calling for the team to have work visas, which were impossible to provide in the timeframe allowed. ..."

http://www.vendeeglobe.org/en/news/17345/edmond-de-rothschild-on-her-way-home

Tied up to a commercial dock run by the unions, trying to use non union labor from France...

They were always going to run into trouble