Vendee Globe 2016

whose weather routing tells the right story I guess? Hugo going south chasing a shift? pretty amazing to be this close after all these miles.

We're problem gonna have another of our favorite sons stolen by a bigger country - Monsieur Coleman seems to be on the improve too. He has to be a pretty happy boy doesn't he, and good on him.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x542qr7_j25-armel-le-cleac-h-et-alex-thomson-filmes-par-la-marine-nationale-vendee-globe_sport

Footage of Thomson and Le Cleach in th southern ocean near the Kergulens, shot from a helicopter launched off a French frigate.

Crazy!

They are both doing circa 20 knots.

Thomson is jumping around his boat like a madman.

In the footage shown, Le Cleach's boat is flat and smooth looking, but under a lot of water and spray.

Thomson's is healed hard on its chine and is all over the place. He is running a staysail in addition to what Le Cleach has up, so maybe pushing harder. He's running two reefs, a staysail and a zero...

The frigate is working to keep up with them.

There is no clear footage of Thomsons broken foil. The way his boat is jumping you would think he doesn't have one. But then, his keel doesn't look all that canted. Would he be healing his boat over In front of the helo to hide his ruse, if he is just bluffing about breaking the foil?

Unlikely probably, but still maybe a possibility.

I thinks its hard to make comparisons when 1 boat has a broken foil. AT does say that he's pushing hard to try and hang on and he also says he's trying to unload the boat as much as possible, hence the keel being fairly centered.

I think if the foil was there, the keel would be fully canted and sitting flat and looking a lot more stable.

why would he be bluffing?  If there was nothing wrong with his foil wouldn't he just put the hammer down and fuckoffskie?

There is one ransom to bluff. The big deal with the Vendee Globe is actually finishing, so looking after the boat, and not pushing it too hard is a major aspect.

By bluffing on the foil, he would be still sailing his boat as fast as he can, but trick Le Cleach into throttling back a bit, so as to look after his boat. The only benefit in Thomson doing that is to keep Le Cleach in touch for an opportunity to pass him.

Having said all that, and watching the other footage posted by Willow, I don't think he's bluffing. He is running more sail, and the main point was his keel was ventilating, I.e. It was well cantered. I think Thomson is pushing as hard as he can to stay in touch. Le Cleach's boat was flat, fast, and made it look really easy....

to be sure he is sailing defensively but it seems that maybe Cleach is playing cat and mouse too.  would have thought that a boat with no issues would be streaking away. .

There seems little speed difference

If Hugo is as uncomfortable as it looks surely its a matter of time before Thompson screws up just thru sheer tiredness.  Staggering to be this close after these miles

Looks like Conrad has had a few issues after a stellar run in the oldest boat in the fleet:

Today was not the best day to start Conrad's 33 year!

Reached by sat phone, Conrad explained " an electric bypass destroyed one of the solar charge controller and it damaged the electric cables next to it. It stopped the electronic and thus the pilot and I lost control of the boat as I wasn't at the helm. By the time I got there the boat was on its side and the gennaker in the water. It took me a lof of time to regain control and then to try to save the sail."

Fortunately the boat is secured, the electric problem has been solved and Conrad can enjoy some food and rest while the pilot does its job. The sail is too damaged and he won't be able to use it anymore which is a bad news but it could have been worst. It is very frustrating as he was doing very well and he has lost some precious miles but the moral is up and tomorrow is another day! 

More news to come soon.