ScottiE

Flexible solar panels

I've had one warranty issue in the last 2 years, from about 15 panels. It was a cable connection to the panel problem. The joint leaked and the wire corroded through.

However, the panels have quite badly discoloured, and I am wondering if they will have a long life. The discolouration does not seem to have effected their output, which is interesting. These are Chinese panels.

I'm just looking at getting some. Have been talking to AA Solar, and the ones they have been selling have had problems with the connection onto the panel element failing in a few cases. Consequently, they are selling their stock at a discount, but with no warranty.

Since I'd rather not have a panel even partially fail on me at sea, where I might be reliant on it, I'm not buying any from them. Nothing against AA Solar, rest of their stuff is no doubt perfectly good.

All my panels at home are made in China, and we have no issues with them. It's not about the country of origin, it's about the quality controls in the factory of origin, and there are good and bad the world over. The problem is sorting out which is which. I've found with panels etc, you get what you pay for.

Edited by AlastairW

I'd stare clear of AA's flexibles, that's the advice from everyone I've spoken to about them.

Mine are Go somethings (I think and will suss) from Beacon. Not for the budget minded who only buy on price but good for those who want reliable and realise buying based on 'lifetime cost' is usually the most cost efficient.

Buy bloody good control gear, don't be a squeaky arse with that either as the panels are useless if that packs up.

http://goflexsolar.co.nz/

I have two of their long skinny GFS 50's which I am intending to mount on the foredeck. They coated the back of mine with VHB, so I just have to peel off the film and stick 'em down when I am ready to install.

They have a tread like surface and you are supposed to be able to walk on them. Not cheap.

We will see how they go after I have installed and wired them up. I've got a genasun controller for each.

My only worry is that because they will be bonded to the deck with VHB, they could well be a pain in the jacksie to take off and replace if they do crap out.